security level

NTAMEN NTANMI luc landry April 26, 2023

hello!

can subtasks have security levels independent of their parent? (the parent ticket has no security level)

1 answer

3 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2023

Subtasks inherit their Security Level from their parent, but there are ways to set subtasks to a different security level.

However, I note that you tagged your post as using the Free plan. Security Levels can't be customized in the Free plan.

NTAMEN NTANMI luc landry April 27, 2023

@Trudy Claspill hello I activated the 30 day trial of the premium version and I can use the security level now, but I can't establish them on the subtasks it's grayed out

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2023

What are you trying to accomplish by setting a security level for the subtask but not for the parent issue?

NTAMEN NTANMI luc landry April 27, 2023

@Trudy Claspill I would like to hide certain subtasks according to very specific roles as to the task it must remain public

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2023

In the Premium instance to which I have access, I don't see the Security Level field at all on any type of task. Instead issue security is set by clicking on the padlock icon at the parent issue level.

Screen Shot 2023-04-27 at 12.47.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-27 at 12.47.29 PM.png

On a Subtask if the parent doesn't have a security level set, then the padlock icon doesn't appear at all. If the parent does have a security level set, then in the subtask the icon is present and I can click on it to display the inherited security level, but I can't change the level for the subtask.

Screen Shot 2023-04-27 at 12.49.32 PM.png

I tried to use an Automation Rule to set the security level on the subtask to something different. The rule said it ran successfully, but the security level was not actually changed.

I've read that you can change the security level on a subtask using the REST API, but I haven't tried that.

I believe to have a security level on the subtask at all you are going to have to apply a security level to the parent issue. So you would need a security level defined that allows people to see the parent, and a separate security level that could be used to hide issues. You could then try to apply that second security level to the subtask via the REST API.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2023

You can not set a security level in the UI, subtasks take their level from their parent issue (because they're a fragment of that issue)

There was a bug in the REST API that let you set different levels on sub-tasks, but it may have been fixed...

Like Trudy Claspill likes this
Romano Silva May 23, 2023

There was a bug in the REST API that let you set different levels on sub-tasks, but it may have been fixed...

I noticed that, in my environment, when I send an "editmeta" GET request on an subtask whose parent has a security level, Jira reports it can be edited. 

It seems Jira accepts the request, but does not do anything, so, if there was a bug, it's been partially fixed.

What do you think @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 27, 2023

I agree, if you're finding you can't set a different security level on a sub-task with REST, then the bug has been fixed.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events