rough estimation field not shown in active sprint board

Sjaak Kassies July 14, 2020

I have in my scrum board the settings:

Estimation Statistic = rough estimation
Time Tracking = Remaining Estimate and Time Spent

In my backlog I have nicely the number of the rough estimation per row.

but in the active sprint board, in the product card the number with gray background shows - with unestimated on hover. 

I can get them to match only if I set Time tracking = none, which means that the burn down does not go on the actual time spend and estimated on the subtask (instead of the rough estimation on the main story). However only once in the sprint, we have subtasks and their real estimations, which I feel is better for time tracking.

Help much appreciated! 

SETTINGS

download (15).png

BACKLOG:

download (16).png

SPRINT BACKLOG:

download (17).png

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Sjaak Kassies July 16, 2020

Thanks for  your answer. I am for estimating on one and the same statistic. but you can set a different number for estimating than time tracking. So I thought it was strange that when you do this, that the estimation value seen in the backlog is not anymore used in the sprint board. This seems to be a bug to me.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 19, 2020

The backlog and the board show the data from the statistic field you have chosen for your estimates.  From your question, it sounded like you have chosen one field, but are then putting your estimates and time tracking into another.

I have probably completely misunderstood what you are doing.  Ignore the time tracking for now, are all your estimates in the "rough estimation" field?  And is that the chosen estimating statistic for the board?

Sjaak Kassies July 20, 2020

I will ignore the time tracking for now. thanks!

Ok, a little more insights:

- When you say standard issue custom field rough estimation on Estimation statistic and Remaining estimate on time tracking, then you see the custom field in the backlog, but when it is in the active sprint, it no longers shows that field, but the remaining estimate of the sum of the subtasks.

- However I cannot use "Original Estimate" as the Estimation statistic for the backlog, because it does not sum the estimations on the subtasks, like it is done in the active sprint. So I will have to put the sum of the sub tasks manually on the main story and use that for the estimation statistic.

On question remains: Can I get in the backlog (showing only standard issues) for the original estimate, the sum of the subtask estimations? Or do I always need to write that on the main story separately in a custom field (using in built fields for time estimations on both main and sub tasks seem to confuse it).

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 22, 2020

No, you don't put your scrum estimates on sub-tasks.  They will be ignored by some places and then double-counted in others if you do sum them up (whether manually or automatically)

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 14, 2020

You can only estimate on one statistic.  You need to decide whether you're going to use your rough estimate or the time-tracking consistently.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events