"blocks" changed to "blocked by" with nothing in history to explain it

Allan Pedersen March 26, 2023
Hi everyone.

I'm seeing a very strange behavior in Jira on multiple stories.
In these scenarios I have two seperate stories, one blocked by the other.

Story A -> Blocks -> Story B
Story B -> Is blocked by -> Story A

In the history log on both stories I can see how this is correctly placed the 14th of March.
But now they are reversed.
Here you see the actual story I'm in "10648" is blocked by "9037".

a.PNG

This is wrong. 
Going into the history log, the only place 9037 is mentioned
is when it was correctly put as "blocks 9037, not blocked by it"

b.PNG

I also checked on 9037 and there the status is now also reversed.

And just to be clear I have gone through the history of both stories, line for line and neither automations or anyone manually changes the link between these stories.

is this a bug? I'm getting reports from developers that this is happening on multiple stories.

Even automations which I rarely use or bulk edits should be reflected in the history log, but nothing shows how this change happened, and I've just to be sure checked no automations are active that could have done this.

2 answers

2 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 26, 2023

Hi @Allan Pedersen and welcome to the Community!

If nothing changed on the issues, maybe someone changed the description of the link type centrally in Jira.

Issue link types are managed in Jira Settings > Issues > Issue linking. An issue link has an inward and outward link description. If that is updated, that will reflect across the board without anyone changing anything at issue level.

Hope this helps!

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 26, 2023

Hello @Allan Pedersen 

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Do you happen to have the app Big Picture installed/integrated with your Jira system?

As per this thread the vendor of that app determined there was a bug in it that was causing the blocks/is blocked by relationship to invert.

I don't have that app and don't know if the issue is finally resolved, but if you do have the app you may want to contact the vendor's support team. You can find their contact information on the Support tab of their Marketplace listing.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1215158/bigpicture-enterprise?hosting=cloud&tab=support

Allan Pedersen March 27, 2023

Afraid that I dont.

I only have

Shared dashboard viewer and
Xray

of apps installed

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS