"We couldn't save your comment"

Morgan W December 5, 2019

Consistently over the last week, I've been having issues creating tickets or adding comments to tickets when screenshots are involved. Before this week, I could paste (from clipboard) a screenshot directly into the ticket body or a comment on the ticket with no issues. Now when I try I keep getting these warning messages saying that my entry couldn't be saved due to formatting. Has formatting changed that much? This is such a huge part of how we use JIRA with our teams - I need to be able to add these images and preferably without having to save them all to my computer to upload. 

Error message: 

We couldn't save your comment

It might be empty or have invalid formatting. If you copy-pasted, try removing formatting and adding it directly to the editor.

8 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 5, 2019

Hi Morgan - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I would open a support ticket with Atlassian - sounds like a bug may have developed. 

Morgan W December 5, 2019

Thanks! Looks like I'll need to get my admin to reach out on this one.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 5, 2019

Let us know the result here so we can close this one out.  :-)

lourenco_raccoon February 7, 2020

Morgan, I had this same issue and the problem was the name of the screenshot containing invalid characters. Just renamed to something like "test" and it works.

Regards.

Like # people like this
Omolara March 24, 2020

Thank you lourenco_raccoon this was really helpful. Was having the same issue and this worked. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 24, 2020

Hi Omolara - I am glad Lourenco could help you out! Can you click on the Accept answer button above to close this one out? Thanks!

Omolara March 24, 2020

I can't see the 'accept answer` button

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 24, 2020

No worries - I will hit it for you to close out.

Cheers!

Macario Ortega January 28, 2021

Do I have to rename the images in order to post them in a comment? That's quite a nuisance. 

Morgan W January 29, 2021

It turns out that you can only upload images or documents that are less than 10MB! It's unfortunate that the error is so vague but after I found that out I've had no further issues and have been using Google Drive for any videos I need to attach that are larger than that. 

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 29, 2021

Another option is to do what we do and that is use a third party vendor called Simple Cloud Files. It is available in the Atlassian Marketplace. 

Kusum Gupta January 26, 2022

Tried renaming the file - didn't worked.

Changed the file size to less than 10MB - it worked !

Like # people like this
Jose Browne December 1, 2022

For me it was the filesize as well. Ya'll need to make this error message more accurate. Thanks :) 

2 votes
Atul Khatri July 7, 2021

I faced this issue while attaching a video in '.mov' format. Converted it to '.mp4' and it worked.

1 vote
Alexander Skvortsov April 24, 2022

I have same issue when I am trying to paste a video. I can see the video uploaded but when I push "Save" button I have: "It might be empty or have invalid formatting."

Fedora 36, Browser Chrome

Alexander Skvortsov July 7, 2022

[FIXED]  My problem was related to some characters in the filename. When the file was renamed the issue disappeared.

1 vote
lbazan August 9, 2021

This issue was seen today solely because the videos included in the comment had / characters in the filename. As soon as I removed any / characters from the filenames and re-uploaded them into the comment, the comment saved as expected.

@John Funk - it would be sensible to have more specific error messaging here to avoid more people losing the time I lost trying to work out why the system wasn't working as expected. At the moment, the messaging does not direct users to check the filenames of attachments. Thanks.

--

We couldn't save your comment

It might be empty or have invalid formatting. If you copy-pasted, try removing formatting and adding it directly to the editor.

Anthon Pedrollo Hax September 15, 2022

Thank you, renaming the file really worked for me.

0 votes
Nadia Chu
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 9, 2024

This is still an issue. Getting this generic error message when its filesize related?

Why can't we upload videos that are larger than that? This is such a staple feature for software development.

0 votes
Amritha Hitige July 7, 2022

I have a issue when I am trying to paste a video (4.4 mb). I can see the video uploaded but when I push "Save" button I have: "It might be empty or have invalid formatting."

Screenshot from 2022-07-07 16-26-28.png

0 votes
Pranav Thampi October 25, 2021

I am facing the same error when pasting in links containing / in the comments.

0 votes
Donny G France October 27, 2020

I have the same problem, please help

Morgan W October 28, 2020

Hey Donny, 

It turns out that you can only upload images or documents that are less than 10MB! It's unfortunate that the error is so vague but after I found that out I've had no further issues and have been using Google Drive for any videos I need to attach that are larger than that. 

Hope this helps.

Like John Funk likes this
mcoplan January 7, 2021

What's weird is that not even Google Drive fixes it

If I upload a video to Drive that's more than 30MB, then try attaching it to the ticket using the Drive Integration, it's the SAME issue!

So my question is: how can I attach Google Drive videos greater than 30Mb to my tickets?

Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 10.00.14 AM.png

Morgan W January 29, 2021

Hmm - I haven't tried with the integration, I just add a link to the drive folder and have no issues that way

Suggest an answer