michal.piasecki December 9, 2020

Hi,

I have following problem.

I have very simple workflow with statuses:

• To Do
  • In Progress
  • Done
  • Resolved

Where 'Done' and 'Resolved' are used to close the issue. (see screenshot)

Unfortunately, when I'm closing the sprint it prompts me that I have unresolved issues and listing the issues with 'Resolved' status.

The same goes with releasing versions.

How can I fix that?

Thanks for your help

image.png

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Flavien Gache
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 9, 2020

Hi.

It may be linked to the Resolution from a Jira point of view.

In Jira, you have two very important fields for an issue. The Status field and the Resolution field.

The status field refers to the status To do, Done, In progress, Resolved.

The resolution is not linked to these status. It is a different field which allows you to close an issue and to precise the way this issue was closed. It allows you to have one final status (for example Done) with multiple reasons to why the status was reached (for example, you can have Resolved, Canceled, Double...). 

We often use postfunctions to automatically fill this field. In my opinion, the transition "All" raching the resolved status does not have a parametered postfunction. To do that, click on the transition All to Resolved and add a postfunction to fill the Resolution field automatically when crossing this transition. It should solve your problem for the future tickets. For the tickets already in Resolved, I suggest you perform a bulk change and edit the Resolution field for them.

Hi,

Thank you for your answer. I will reach out my Jira administrator to set it up as suggested. In the meanwhile, answer suggested by Jack works fine as well

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 9, 2020

to be clear the Resolution field is indeed quite useful to qualify any "done category" status. However, the point of issues being considered complete in a sprint but being put back into the backlog/next sprint has to do with ensuring the issue appears in the right-most column of your scrum board; unrelated to Resolution.

Some things to consider w/ a multi-done-category status workflow. A good (IMO) example use case for having more than one done status is where you want to have a second/final approval that the issue is indeed address. Example: Developer moves issue to RESOLVED (done category green status) and the Reporter has the opportunity to move the issue to DONE (done category green status). If you don't need this two-step done scenario then for sure leveraging the Resolution field is wise and don't simply limit it to a post function "Done" but rather use a value that qualifies the 'done-ness': Done, Won't do, Cancelled, Cannot Reproduce, etc. This allows you to run metrics on how the issue was resolved/closed. One final point is that I have seen (and used) more than two done-category statuses but for me it is rare. Example: Resolved, Done, Cancelled. In this example, I want to call out Cancelled issues and make them more (?) obvious than using Cancelled as a Resolution. Rare UC indeed.

Like Flavien Gache likes this
1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 9, 2020

Both statuses must be in the Right most column of you scrum board. I suspect Resolved is just to the left of Done column? Only the RM column is considered done from an agile process in Jira. 

Hi,

The Resolved status was Unmapped with columns. It works for the sprints now. Thank you

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events