"Order By" Epic - How?

I have a fairly standard setup....

Epics are made up of stories which are broken down by tasks...

I have a "Quick Filter" (type = story) that enables me to just show the "stories" in Planning mode.

I want to order the stories by "Epics" so that all the stories for an Epic are "bunched" together but it is not working. I have tried:

• type = story ORDER BY "Epic Name"
  • type = story ORDER BY "Epic Link"
  • type = story ORDER BY "Epic Name"
  • type = story ORDER BY "Epic Colour"

But I still do not get the items sorted by Epic. I know I can click on each Epic and it will listthe stories (by Sprint) but I want to see all stories (at once) for each sprint ordered by epic.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

5 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

I have the same issue. Was there a ticket created for this?

[EDIT] Found one. https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-10130

Dave,

This is exactly the need of my organization. We are very much surprised (and disappointed) that this is NOT working.

The only WORKAROUND we have found is to export the list on Excel and perform the ordering there... definitely not convenient nor in line with the principle of keeping everything "hot" online.

Atlassian people, could you help? Thanks!

Ticket has been created: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-10130- Thanks!

It looks like this issue was marked as closed/fixed. Yet, I'm still not seeing the ability to do what you're talking about. Am I missing something?

It would be useful to order by hierarchy (Epic, Story, Task, Sub-task) to see all the pieces of an Epic and their status.  We currently have a SQL query which fetches data in hierarchical order from the JIRA database for our business users report so they can see the progress of large projects.

I second this! I've been scouring the web trying to find a way to do this...

Trying tho sort the backlog view by epic by adding a filter: ORDER BY "Epic Name"

The issues in my sprints are not ordered by epic when using this filter.

Is this a bug or am i missing something?

thanks,

jan

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Apr 22, 2018 in Jira Software

How-to setup a secured Jira Software 7.9.0 on Ubuntu 16.04.4 in less than 30 minutes

...PermissionsStartOnly=true User=www-data Group=www-data ExecStart=/opt/jira/bin/startup.sh ExecStop=/opt/jira/bin/shutdown.sh TimeoutStartSec=120 TimeoutStopSec=600 PrivateTmp=true [Install] WantedBy...

1,085 views 6 12
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you