It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

"Hide completed issues older than" setting on Jira Software Kanban Boards

Matthew Stublefield Jul 12, 2018

Can anyone say definitively what this setting does? Does it:

1. Hide issues from the board when there has been no activity on them for more than X weeks and they are in the right-most column?
  2. Hide issues from the board when there has been no activity on them for more than X weeks and they have a resolution set?
  3. Hide issues from the board when there has been no activity on them for more than X weeks and they have both a resolution set and are in the right-most column?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Manon Soubies-Camy Community Leader Jul 12, 2018

Hi @Matthew Stublefield,

This setting was released in 7.9: Fast Kanban. It's basically a way to automatically clean your Kanban board - issues that are in the Done column and haven't been updated for X days will be removed from the board.

Hope this helps!

- Manon

Matthew Stublefield Jul 12, 2018

Cool, thanks. So this is definitely based on column and not resolution, then. That's great to know for people with custom workflows who, for whatever reason, don't set a resolution on the transition to done.

Manon Soubies-Camy Community Leader Jul 12, 2018

Glad it helped! I find this new setting particularly useful too :)

I am also on JIRA Cloud and trying to finalize my filter (I'm the Admin).  I, too, want my resolved issues to fall off the Kanban (complete) column  at the end of each month.  I have a simplified filter now as such:

project in (CBL, CBLSCRUM) ORDER BY Rank ASC

would I add this: 

created >= -4w AND (status != Closed” or Resolution = “Done” )

Appreciate the help!

1 vote
Anton Stratiev Feb 04, 2019

Hi @Manon Soubies-Camy,

I have spent hours on this and for some reason the filter option that was released with that version does not show up for me. I am the admin.

I do not see the "Hide completed issues" field at all. Is there something I need to do in order to activate that function? The tutorial article on configuring filters is quite limited and from what I see it uses non existent reference text, i.e.:

To hide completed issues:

1. Go to the desired board, then click  Board >  Configure.
  2. In the Hide completed issues field, select the retention period. 
    Issues that weren't updated within this period will be hidden.

--

There is no "Board", there are the three dots. There is no "Configure", there is "Board Settings". 

Thank you in advance, 

Anton 

Manon Soubies-Camy Community Leader Feb 04, 2019

Hi @Anton Stratiev,

My guess is that you're on Jira Cloud and not on Jira Server - this is a Server only feature.

You can use the Kanban board sub-filter (Board settings > General) as a workaround, e.g.:

resolution = null OR (resolution != null AND resolutiondate > startOfWeek())

This will only display issues that are not resolved, or that have been resolved this week.

Hope this helps,

- Manon

Like Daniel Triftshaeuser likes this
Anton Stratiev Feb 04, 2019

I see, that works, thank you! Hopefully the Cloud version will be up to date soon as well!

Regards,

Anton

Like Manon Soubies-Camy likes this
John Jones Apr 11, 2019 • edited

so basically the user-friendly drop-down UI on Server was replaced by developer-friendly filter queries on Cloud?  I'm no developer, but after fidgeting with this for a bit, it looks like the equivalent queries for "Hide completed issues older than" X are:

1 week: resolution = EMPTY OR resolution != EMPTY AND resolutiondate > -1w
2 weeks: resolution = EMPTY OR resolution != EMPTY AND resolutiondate > -2w
4 weeks: resolution = EMPTY OR resolution != EMPTY AND resolutiondate > -4w
Show all: leave this sub-filter blank

...and we get no toggle button in the UI either.

side note: the double condition with parens was stripped from my config.  in other words, this string from the recommendation above:

resolution = EMPTY OR (resolution != EMPTY AND resolutiondate > -2w)

was striped to:

resolution = EMPTY OR resolution != EMPTY AND resolutiondate > -2w

but it seems to give me the desired results.

Suggest an answer

This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

How to prevent the propagation of unused project schemes, workflows & screens in Jira software

Atlassian ranks project attributes as the third most important factor impacting performance in the category of data. It’s not surprising, since project attributes are precisely the rules used to ma...

1,337 views 1 16
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you