project and work/task templates

Katie Moore September 16, 2022

hi! is it possible to create a customized 'project template' in JIRA that houses a customize workflow, board, tasks, states, including things like tasks (with predefined placeholder content). The goal being that all team members that create and start working on a project as set up to use the same project workflow and task types and details?

My ideal state would be to set up this customized project that meets my teams needs; have it saved as a template so team members can simple create a new project and use that template with a single click.

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 16, 2022

Hi @Katie Moore 

I think what you are looking for is creating a project with a shared configuration. Read more here please: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/create-a-new-project/

Projects that share configuration share:

• issue types
  • workflows
  • screens
  • fields
  • permissions
  • notifications

Important note: If a change is made to one of the projects' configurations, that change affects all the projects that share that configuration. You'll be notified if a setting is shared.

Katie Moore September 16, 2022

this sounds like it very well could be my answer. thank you! 

Douglas White October 28, 2022

I'm not sure this fits my use case... will this copy over set tasks and their subtasks that are repeated on new versions of the same project 'type'? What I'm looking for is a way to create a template that is 80% unchanged from project to project, but that the project lead goes in and tweaks based on specifics. I'm looking not to have to manually recreate each task and sub-task, etc., with each new project as each recurring project is so similar. 

Wolfgang -Litew8 GmbH-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 19, 2023

Hi @Katie Moore @Doug

as you seem not to be fully satisfied with the proposed native solution. Especially lacking the integrated part of having issues automatically created with the template. Let me show you how easy that can be achieved with the app that we've built. Project Templates for Jira.

Step 1: 
Create a custom project template based on an existing project or Jira native template to reuse the configuration, copy versions, components, project role assignment.

Create Template.PNG

Step 2:
In project template settings, predefine epics, issues and subtasks and link them together.

Predefined Issues.PNG

Step 3:
Activate the project template with the checkmark and you are ready to create projects based on it, or enable non-admins to create projects without Jira administrator permission.
My first template.png

Feel free to reach out to our app support for any questions.

Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2023

@Wolfgang -Litew8 GmbH- hi,

From what I read @Katie Moore was satisfied with the answer I gave.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events