linkedIssues without a plugin

Todd Anderson July 9, 2021

Hello,

I'm trying to create a board in Jira Cloud that shows the issues linked to stories in my project.  From what I can tell, you need to buy Script Runner to get the linkedIssues function in JQL.  Seems strange that you would have to pay for a basic feature to get a list of linked issues.  Is there a way to do this in the standard Jira Cloud instance?

If not, is it on the Jira Cloud roadmap to add this simple feature to JQL for free?

Thank you.

4 answers

0 votes
Rahul_RVS_Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 12, 2021

Posted by mistake, hence deleting

Suvradip Paul
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 12, 2021

@Rahul_RVS_Support  - @[deleted] has asked with out a plugin in the question already.

Cheers

Suvradip

Suvradip Paul
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 13, 2021

Thanks @Rahul_RVS_Support  for understanding.

0 votes
Daniel Turczanski - __JQL Search Extensions
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 12, 2021

Hi,

With standard JQL you can only get a list of issues with links and export them to Excel for further processing. This works if you want to do a one-off analysis.

Standard JQL doesn't easily allow it but the results can be quickly found using our professional indexing service:

After you install the app you can simply search:

linkedByIssueProject=IDP

You may want to check out the docs as well.

I hope this helps!

Daniel

Suvradip Paul
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 12, 2021

@Daniel Turczanski - __JQL Search Extensions - @[deleted]  has requested the answer with out a plugin and he has mentioned in the subject line and description.

Cheers

Suvradip

Daniel Turczanski - __JQL Search Extensions
Marketplace Partner
July 13, 2021

@Suvradip Paul pay attention to

With standard JQL you can only get a list of issues with links and export them to Excel for further processing. This works if you want to do a one-off analysis.

That's basically where you need a plugin unless you requirements are very simplistic like getting links of an issue with a known key.

Suvradip Paul
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 13, 2021

@Daniel Turczanski - __JQL Search Extensions  - Thanks for responding.

I just mentioned the issue statement. If you see the last statement from @[deleted] you would be able to get the expectation.

0 votes
Suvradip Paul
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 9, 2021

Hi @Todd Anderson ,

Thanks for posting in community.

I don't think so, it can be done though JQL as below -

e.g. - Suppose there two cards linked with a card and if I pass the Issue-id below in this JQL it should list those two cards.

linkedIssue in linkedIssues("Issue-Id")

Please accept the answer if it solves your query else please respond and allow others to share input.

Cheers

Suvradip

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 9, 2021

That works fine if you have a single issue you’re looking at. However Todd is looking for A solution that works across the entire project. So he doesn’t have “the issue ID”. Unless I’m missing something here

Deleted user July 9, 2021

Yes Jack, that's correct.  I'd like to see all the issues that are linked to every story in a project. e.g. dependency tracking on a Kanban board.

In an ideal world, it would even automatically show the nested view, but I'll settle for just visualising all the linked issues for now.

Suvradip Paul
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 9, 2021

Hi @[deleted] / @Jack Brickey ,

Can we try something like this to find out with out Script runner/Any plugin etc.?

project = XXX AND issueLinkType in ("is blocked by", blocks,Blocks, "is cloned by", clones, Cloners, "is duplicated by", duplicates,Duplicate, "is caused by", causes, "Problem/Incident", "relates to", Relates);

The link types might vary but it should return all the linked issues. This can be customised with issue type story also.

Please accept the answer if it solves your query else please respond and allow others to share input.

Cheers

Suvradip

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 9, 2021

I don’t think that will give Todd what he’s looking for but I will leave it to Todd to answer as this really isn’t my question. 😉

Suvradip Paul
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 9, 2021

Ok @Jack Brickey ! Sure, I will wait for his feedback too.

But this will display all the issues which are linked by different conditions. Isn't so?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 9, 2021

Note - you could simplify your query to …and issuelinktype is not empty… rather than listing all link types. If an issue link to another project exists it would be missed here.

Suvradip Paul
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 9, 2021

Absolutely right @Jack Brickey ! I posted with all the types just an example. This can be tuned.

Deleted user July 12, 2021

Thanks @Suvradip Paul and @Jack Brickey .  As written, the query will only give me stories within the project that has dependencies, not the other way around.  I suppose I could use a custom link type to track all the dependencies for this project and remove the project part of the query, but then I would also lose the context of what story it's linked to.

If I'm going to do that, then I could use use the wild west of labels to achieve the same result.

It makes me sad that something that could be achieved 10 years ago with a simple SQL query still can't be done in Jira in 2021 without buying a plugin. :(

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 12, 2021

@Todd Anderson , that was my expectation.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 9, 2021

Nope, not on the roadmap.

Linkedissue and linkedissues() are already built in.   See https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/advanced-search-reference-jql-functions/

You don't need Scriptrunner or any other app for this (although my marketing people would kill me if I didn't mention that Scriptrunner adds a whole load more with its Enhanced Search function)

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 9, 2021

Nice subtle plug Nic. 😂

Deleted user July 9, 2021

Thanks. It's not quite what I'm looking for... I'm looking to get the linked issues for all the stories in my project, not just a single issue.  Is there a way to get this with out-of-the-box Jira Cloud (understanding that you work for Adaptavist)?

something like...

issueFunction in linkedIssuesOf("project=IDP")

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 9, 2021

That is where you hit the “you need an addon”. 😔

Suggest an answer