Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

I have a problem that each project has its own labels, I want to group the labels by projects, is this possible?

3 answers

3 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hi @Іван Андрєєв ,

When it comes to Something-like-Labels-but-per-Project, you have a few of options.

First of all, as @John Funk said, there's Components. And Components are fantastic, but they were designed with specific use-case in mind and need to be created ahead of time. The good thing is, that Components are project-specific and are managed by project admins. If you do not already use these and are happy with picking your options ahead of time, this might be the way for you. 

Next up, there's multi-select custom fields. These work almost like components, but you can have as many of these as you want. You also get to pick the options by project, however only Jira admins can change these options. In a small org, that typically is not a problem, but in larger organizations, you might want to delegate the task of managing the allowed options to project admins.

Then there's the Project Labels app that @Jack Brickey already mentioned, which allows you to add multi-select custom fields to your projects and have control over which options are available at the project level (like Components). Personally, I believe this to be a great compromise, but I also work for the vendor behind Project Labels.

Finally, you could also just get an app to manage Jira labels per project; Project Labels being my favorite here. Typically, you get to see which labels are used in a project, but also globally. And at least with Project Labels, you also have the option to rename a label and even completely remove it – from either a project or the whole instance. If you need the flexibility of users creating labels ad hoc, I would recommend this approach.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any questions. 

Best regards,
 Oliver

P.S. Final note: If you remove a label from all issues and it still shows up in your suggestions and you are 100% sure that it is not used anywhere, it might simply be cached in your browser. Clearing the browser cache helps in these rare but annoying cases.

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk Community Leader Aug 29, 2022

Hi @Іван Андрєєв 

Labels are global and not unique to a single project. You should use Components for that. 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey Community Leader Aug 29, 2022

That is long possible to use the Labels field in this manner. Your best (?) option is to use a custom field - text or maybe multi select.

I did find this addon - project-labels-for-jira 

I have never tried it myself.

Thanks

Is it possible to somehow remove the labels?

Remove them from specific issues or remove the labels from existence altogether?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS

Atlassian Community Events