jira xray - regression testing

David Backup March 12, 2022

Hello, 

I'd like to use the jira xray to show my regression status but propabli I do somethinks wrong.

I would like create new projet in jira x-ray and raport here raports from regresion testing (execued in fitnees) but after put result.xml file XRay shows error. Could you help me and show what I do wrong? 

Steps:

0. Create issue "XTest Execution" 

1.  Generate result.xml from FitNesse -> https://docs.getxray.app/display/XRAY31/Testing+using+FitNesse+and+JUnit

2. Send raport from FitNesse to "XTest Execution"(More -> Import Execution Results)

xray raise error

"Error importing execution results to datebase: 

.... Description is required 

..."

I tried send also file result.xml from example  https://docs.getxray.app/display/XRAY31/Testing+using+FitNesse+and+JUnit

and I had the same error 

Thanks in advance

Regards, 

David 

1 answer

2 votes
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 12, 2022

Hi @David Backup and welcome to the community,

for me this looks like your jira system/screen scheme is configured that the descirption field is a required field. As this field is not filled with content in the test result file it cannot be imported.

Looking forward to your answer.

Best
Stefan

David Backup March 12, 2022

Thank you for your answer
Do you know how can I change it?

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 12, 2022

It depends on where this requirement was set. Could be a validator in the workflow (create transition) or in the global settings for fields.

Global settings (specific permission required)

• in the project menu bar (left) go to project settings > Summary > Fields
  • choose the field configuration that is assigned to the project
  • check for field "Description" if option "required" is set
  • in this case you (or your jira admin) need to unset this option as this is valid globally
  • the field could then set to be mandatory in the project workflow´s "create" transition as validator

Workflow

• in the project menu bar (left) go to project settings > Summary > Workflow
  • choose workflow associated to the project
  • click edit and check "Create" transition if validator for field "Description" is set to be required

Best
Stefan

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 13, 2022

Hi @David Backup 

If your problem is resolved please consider to click "Accept" in order to mark this question as solved.

Best
Stefan

David Backup March 16, 2022

Do we have another way to change the settings if we don't have permission to do it?

Do you know if jira xray has a free environment to testing it? For example if results.xml is fine

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 16, 2022

Changing settings would need special permissions. If this could be worked around permissions would be unnecessary anyways ;)

In case you do not have permission I suggest to reach out to your Jira admin.

I´m afraid there is no free environment. But nevertheless your error message seems to be something regarding your project/system configuration. As XRAY is (obviously) already in place and you would like to try out your results.xml you could open a sandbox/test project in your system.

Best
Stefan

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 16, 2022

One more thing that came to my mind:

• are there existing TestCases where the tests from the file should be linked to? or should test cases be created out of the result file?

also found an article similar to your problem. Maybe there is a helpful hint in it for you:
https://docs.getxray.app/display/ProductKB/%5BXray+Server%5D+Cannot+import+Test+Run+result%2C+custom+field+is+required

Best
Stefan

David Backup March 16, 2022

no, I didn't put test case for these tests from results.xml. I would like only send results.xml and have information about regresion in jira xray. 

for example:

3TC passed 

1TC failed and name of this TC 

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 16, 2022

Jira/XRAY needs to have test case entities/issues in order to show test results. 

Test case issues are kinda the base for test execution. Test case is just the description/documentation of "what needs to be done" whereas a test execution is an instance of the test case that documents the real execution of those test steps in the test case issue. 

Therfore when you try to import test results.xml Jira/XRAY is trying to create new test case issues.

See important details in XRAY documentation:
https://docs.getxray.app/display/XRAYCLOUD/Testing+using+FitNesse+and+JUnit

Best
Stefan

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 1, 2022

Hi @David Backup 

Any updates on this case?

Best
Stefan

Suggest an answer