jira 6.4.6 to jira 8.3.4 upgrade

Mahendar D December 2, 2019

Hi Team,

We are using jira 6.4.6 version with capture, agile, time to sla and time in status plugin.

Now we want to upgrade this one to new version.

Please help us with upgrade steps.

4 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2019

@Mahendar DUpgrading Jira 6 to 8 is not directly possible. You need to do step by step plugin. The upgrade path will look like this for you,

6.4.x -> 7.0.x -> 7.13.x -> 8.3.x

In case of plugins that you are using, you need to check that they support Jira 8 (as much I know all of them does).

Couple of more things you need to take care are,

1. Database support has changed from Jira 6 to 8, so make sure you are on appropriate version of database.
  2. Jira 8 require more system memory compared to Jira 6, so make sure your host machine have some free memory.

Happy upgrading, you will surely enjoy speed of Jira 8.

@DPKJ 

Thank you.

1. Do i need to disable those plugins before upgrading jira?

2. Can i restore jira 6.4.6 backup file with jira 7.0. Is this correct process.

3. Before restoring do i need to download above mentioned plugins.

4. for jira 7 version what is the compatible mysql database version.

5. In JIRA 6.4.6 we have default scriptrunner in which we are using some scripts for jira projects if i upgrade  what about the scripts.would it support for new jira script runner.

again we have to write  the scripts.

Please help us with above questions.

Like Reed Wurts likes this
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2019

My number wise answers,

1. No you don't need to disable plugins.

2. No, you cannot restore backup file.

3. Not applicable.

4. Jira 7 support MySQL 5.5 and 5.6, and Jira 8 support Jira 5.6, and 5.7 (Please check here - https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver080/supported-platforms-967896891.html , use version drop-down on side to check)

5. You need to open separate question for this, so scriptrunner in heading so scritprunner team can look up.

@Mahendar D  Please do no upgrade using Jira backups, you need to follow this guide to upgrade - https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/upgrading-jira-applications-938846936.html

0 votes
Answer accepted
Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 2, 2019

You should first upgrade from 6.4.6 to 7.0 first .

Your version is pretty old so you will need multiple upgrades before you reach 8

thank you @Vickey Palzor Lepcha 

0 votes
Simon Leclercq December 26, 2019

i have the same issue on my side but all i have is the Agile Plugin and the Git Integration Plugin for JIRA

my licence was for JIRA 6.4.6. I just bought a new licence for 8.6.0 (not an upgrade licence as the cost was crazy). what did you do exactly ? did you follow the upgrade path 6.4.x -> 7.0.x -> 7.13.x -> 8.6.0 ? 

Mahendar D December 26, 2019

No,

6.4.6 to 7.0.11 to 7.3.6 to 8.4.3.

After 7.0.11 update db version+1.

Or after 7.3.6 to 7.13.0 to 8.4.3

After 7.13.0 update db version +1

0 votes
Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 2, 2019

I agree with @DPKJ 

As per my experience with Atlassian Tools Upgrades, I'd give you the following advices ;

1) Know your current environment well.

• This will involve what plugin versions you are running - if you still need them after upgrade - do they have the version that is compatible with your new JIRA version
  • Your organization may have customized JIRA as per their requirements. So you should know what new custom files have been added - custom lines added to any files. These could get removed - so you will have to add them back again.
  • Agile for example - runs as a plugin in your current version. It will not in JIRA 7.*
  • If you are still not confident of your environment - do an upgrade of your test/dev environment first and try resolving all issues in your test upgrade.

2) Know what to expect from the new version beforehand 

• Read release notes - this will help you understand what current features have disappeared and what new to expect in the new version.

Suggest an answer