{{issue.Story Points estimate}} can not be retrieved in automation

Alex Artyomov June 23, 2021

I am trying to write an automation that needs to get the story point data from the issue.

The problem is that neither {{issue.Story Points estimate}} nor {{issue.Story Points}} return any values:

I tried this in Audit log: 

```

Issue: {{issue.key}}. Start date will be set to: {{now}}. Story Points estimate is: {{issue.Story Point estimate}}. Story Points is: {{issue.Story Points}}. Ceiled Story Points estimate is: {{issue.Story point estimate.ceil}}. Due Date will be set to {{issue.created.plusBusinessDays(issue.Story point estimate.ceil)}}

```

And this is what I get: 

```

Issue: FTA-136. Start date will be set to: 2021-06-23T06:18:44.7+0000. Story Points estimate is: . Story Points is: . Ceiled Story Points estimate is: . Due Date will be set to

```

Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 10.01.49.png

2 answers

0 votes
Alex Artyomov June 23, 2021

@Bill Sheboy 

1. We are using team managed project.

2.  This is the log message format that I am using: 

Issue: {{issue.key}}. Start date will be set to: {{now}}. Story Points estimate is: {{issue.Story Point estimate}}. Story Points is: {{issue.Story Points}}. Ceiled Story Points estimate is: {{issue.Story Point estimate.ceil}}. Due Date will be set to {{issue.created.plusBusinessDays(issue.Story Point estimate.ceil)}}

An example result that I am getting: 

Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 0.07.22.png

As you can see the value for Story Points estimate field is empty.

The value is set in the issue: 
Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 0.11.19.png

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 23, 2021

Hi, Alex.  Thanks for that information, and please try to keep your responses in one thread.  That will help the community members when they look in the future to see if there are alternative answers to a question.  Thanks!

Okay, now that we know you are using a team-managed project, you may remove the other values from that logging message, and...

• Why are you trying to use ceiling for {{issue.Story Point estimate}} as that is usually an integer value, right?
  • Let's try this: create a new log action and re-type in that smart value by itself.  That will rule out any bad characters in the value.
  • Next, check with your site admin to confirm there is one-and-only-one field named "Story Point estimate" in your project.
Alex Artyomov June 28, 2021

Hi Bil,

- We are using story points as a float values

- I created a log action just with {{issue.Story Point estimate}} value and the result is the same: I don't get any value for it:

Screen Shot 2021-06-29 at 9.18.29.png

- I am the project admin and I can confirm that there is one-and-only-one field named "Story Point estimate" in our project:

Screen Shot 2021-06-29 at 9.20.46.png

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 29, 2021

Thanks for that information, Alex.  I am stumped, and I suggest that you submit a defect to Atlassian Support to see what they can find.  They have more access to internal logs than customer users do.

As site admin for a paid instance, you may submit a defect here: https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

Once you hear from them, please post back here so the entire community can benefit from what you learn.  Thanks!

tom_pradat
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 19, 2024

Hello,

It looks like I have the same problem on one of my projects. @Alex Artyomov Did you get an answer ?

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 23, 2021

Hi @Alex Artyomov -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Here are some follow-up questions which may help the community to offer you suggestions:

1. Are you using a company-managed or a team-managed project?  Company-managed uses {{issue.Story Points}} and team-managed uses {{issue.Story Point estimate}}  please note the capitalization and that the one for team-managed is singular, not plural, for Story Point.
  2. What is the issue type of the item you believe is missing the values?  When you view that item do you see the story point field with values on the page?
  3. Would you please post an image of the audit log from the rule execution where you believe it should be showing the values?

Thanks, and best regards,

Bill

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events