inherit epic's parent "component" value into child issue "component" value

gonzalo December 29, 2021

Hi all, 

Kind of new to JIRA and I guess I'm messing up with something simple :S

I'm trying to auto populate the field "component" of my new issues from their epic field component.

I checked this link and tried replicate, but not success so far :S

My automation looks like this:

Captura de pantalla 2021-12-30 a las 8.16.48.png

The component config looks like this:

Captura de pantalla 2021-12-30 a las 8.15.57.png

The edit configuration looks like this:

Captura de pantalla 2021-12-30 a las 8.14.38.png

Any help will be more than welcome! Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 29, 2021

Hi @gonzalo

Welcome to the community. 

There are various scenarios you have to cover as well. Your scenario will not work since you cannot link stories when you are creating an epic at creation. The first 2 will automatically update right away.  Rule #3 is a cleanup one.  

- Scenario #1: Assume that stories have the epic link at creation. Also assume, the epic has the component set. Then, you can just copy from Epic and make sure that it applies to when you create and edit events.  

automation_screenshot.png

- Scenario #2:  Component is not set on epic, but then it's updated with stories linked to it, so you need to update the stories. Use rule #2 on this link: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Automation-discussions/Jira-Automation-Video-Tutorial-on-how-to-keep-Parent-and/td-p/1783535

instead of subtasks -> it will be stories under epic

- Scenario #3: use the scheduled rule as you mention on the top form @Bill Sheboy This will ensure that the components will always be in sync.  

I hope this helps.

gonzalo December 30, 2021

WoW

Makes complete sense.

Now everything is working 

Thanks @Fabian Lim !

Like Fabian Lim likes this
Ece Kavuncubasi May 19, 2022

Hello Fabian, if "Epic Link" is not seen as a field to design below automation, what should we do ? Any suggestions or ideas? Thanks!

epicLink.png

Suggest an answer