index files are either missing or corrupted

I got the message :

"JIRA is unable to perform a background re-index at this time because the index files are either missing or corrupted."

I already re-indexed by locking JIRA but this message still appears...

What can I do ?

1 answer

This widget could not be displayed.

This sounds like the system is having problems writing to the index files.

I would want to read the logs for the system around the time it is trying to index and see what errors are physically happening.

However, whatever they say, you will probably end up with the same fix list:

1. Check that the permissions on the index directories are correct
  2. Check you have enough disk space (at least twice the size of the current index free)
  3. If the errors in the logs are add-on related, then it's likely that you'll want to remove or fix the offending add-on
  4. Stop JIRA
  5. Move the whole index directory to somewhere safe
  6. Start JIRA
  7. A lot of it will look broken, but admin links will still work - perform another full index

That will recreate a clean set of indices without any blocking errors hopefully.

I tried your solution but I still got the same message error...

I looked in log file and found this :

"2017-06-29 16:24:38,265 http-bio-80-exec-18 WARN bvf 984x21682x1 7b60xt 10.170.234.22 /secure/admin/jira/IndexAdmin.jspa [jira.issue.index.IndexConsistencyUtils] Index consistency check failed for index 'Comment': expectedCount=414488; actualCount=243768"

How can I correct the problem ?

Ok, that usually points to a broken add-on writing junk to the index.

Are there any errors thrown when action 7 is run on the list before?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Apr 22, 2018 in Jira Software

How-to setup a secured Jira Software 7.9.0 on Ubuntu 16.04.4 in less than 30 minutes

...PermissionsStartOnly=true User=www-data Group=www-data ExecStart=/opt/jira/bin/startup.sh ExecStop=/opt/jira/bin/shutdown.sh TimeoutStartSec=120 TimeoutStopSec=600 PrivateTmp=true [Install] WantedBy...

1,492 views 10 12
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you