in JQL get epic name for a known epic link

Gus Fraser March 14, 2019

I want to create a filter that will yield only stories that have a linked epic where the name is like a given string, e.g. prefix to epic name of P: si P:Actualepicname

"epic name" ~ "P:*"

Any ideas?

epicName("epic link") returning epic name would be amazing.

Any help much appreciated.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 15, 2019

Hello Gus,

How are you?

Could you please let us know if you are using JIRA Server or Cloud?

I understand that you would like to create a filter to display all stories that are linked to an Epic which Epic-name contains a specific string. Is that correct?

Unfortunately, it is not possible to return this kind of information using only JIRA JQL functionality, however, there are some add-ons that extend the JQL functionality and would allow you to return this kind of query. Here would be the recommended ones:

1 - For JIRA Server, you can install Scriptrunner plugin and use the following function:

issueFunction in issuesInEpics("epic name" ~ "P:*")

You can check this documentation for more information: JQL Functions provided by Scriptrunner

2 - For JIRA Cloud, you can install the JQL Search Extensions and use the following function:

issuesFromEpicsInQuery = "epic name" ~ "P:*"

You can check this documentation for more information:

JQL Search Extensions metadata.attachments Subqueries - JQL Search Extensions for Jira Cloud

Let us know if this information helps.

In advance, have a nice weekend!

Gus Fraser March 18, 2019

Thanks so much for the reply. Actually, I have decided to solve my issue another way, using components, The tag that I was going to use in the description I have emulated with components.

Suggest an answer