if child issue of an epic status is done then auto create new child under the same epic

Aysha.Mohammad June 17, 2022

what will be automation rule applies for 

if child issue's status is done then automatically create new child under the same epic. 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
MW June 17, 2022

I'd say, try something like this - of course you have to adjust statut in "transition condition" and issue type

Bez tytułu.png

Thanks for reply, I dont have option for epic link Screenshot 2022-06-17 at 15.12.38 (2).png

Marcin Wiktor
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 17, 2022

You do have this option but you don't realize you do :)

Click on "Choose fields to set" and then pick "Epic link" from this dropdown listBez tytułu.png

Like # people like this

This rule is worked for epic, for instance if epic status change to finished than new child is created for same epic 

which rule applies  if one child status is finished and new child is created within same parent?

MW June 17, 2022

Not sure if I understand your intentions.

You want this rule to:

1. Don't trigger when an epic is closed
  2. Trigger only for tasks inside an epic

?

I am sorry Marcin if you not understand my point, well yes  I want trigger only for task inside an epic 

May be you can get my point from screenshot Screenshot 2022-06-17 at 16.23.02 (2).png

MW June 17, 2022

So you can achieve this by adding a JQL condition like this:

Bez tytułu.png

If you need to run this automation only in one specific epic then you can change this query to:

issuetype = Task and "Epic link" = TP-48
Like Marco Brundel likes this
Aysha.Mohammad June 20, 2022

Unfortunately it does not work.

Marcin Wiktor
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 20, 2022

@Aysha.Mohammad can you open "Audit log" tab and see the logs?
If you provide me a screenshot of it, maybe I'd be able to help if I see what's not working exactly

Bez tytułu.png

@Marcin Wiktor here is screenshot for audit log 

Screenshot 2022-06-20 at 15.24.01 (2).png

this rule is working for epic, If epic status changed to finished new child is created automatically,  screenshot attached for this rule 

I need when one child's status reached to finished another child is created under the same epic. Screenshot 2022-06-20 at 15.28.50 (2).pngScreenshot 2022-06-20 at 15.31.12 (2).png

Marcin Wiktor
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 20, 2022

@Aysha.Mohammad 

So you have uploaded 2 screens with different configuration - please notice that the first one has "If: Issue matches" condition (yellow background) and the second doesn't.

The first one is correct but the log says that something is wrong with permissions.

First - in the Rule details check who is the actor selected for this rule:

Bez tytułu.png

If this is set to "Automation for Jira" then make that "atlassian-addons-project-access" role is added to:

- Browse project

- Create issues

- Edit issues

- Transition issues

Bez tytułu.png

Aysha.Mohammad June 22, 2022

Thank you very much @marcin 

its working now 

Marcin Wiktor
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 22, 2022

@Aysha.Mohammad no problem, happy to help :)

Like Aysha.Mohammad likes this
Muhamad Zulhadi March 9, 2023

Hello @Aysha.Mohammad and @Marcin Wiktor 
I have same case, and seems this one is promising for me.
But I wonder, does update the permission only possible in Jira Premium?
Please let me know.

Thanks,

Regards, Zulhadi.

1 vote
Marco Brundel
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 17, 2022

Hi @Aysha.Mohammad ,

I think you then create a rule with Issue transitioned as trigger, a Branch rule / related issues with the EPIC and below that a create issue action.
See also the screenshot.

And then of course expand with conditions.

Does this point you in the right direction?

Regards, MarcoScreenshot 2022-06-17 at 15.57.25.png

Thank you Marco, I tried this before but it does work for me, 

my concern is create new child when the status of previous child = done for same epic.

Marco Brundel
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 17, 2022

Hi @Aysha.Mohammad ,

And a rule like this one?

Screenshot 2022-06-17 at 16.15.07.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events