how to prevent linking task/sub task to epic when epic is closed

SATHEESH BJPS May 29, 2020

Need to prevent items from being added to closed features should require epic to be re-opened if a task needs to be assigned to it or force user to create new epic

2 answers

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 29, 2020

So I thought that you could achieve this by setting the jira.issue.editable false property on the Done status since supposedly adding issues to an epic is controlled by the edit permission. However, I just spent a few moments trying this but it did not work. A bit perplexed by this TBH. There may be a way to do this using properties but I don't have time to investigate further. If you wish to play w/ this you might reference this site - https://www.j-tricks.com/ 

I tried that property , but it is not working.

satish venkata June 1, 2020

Hello @Jack Brickey @John Funk ,

do have a chance to look in to this.

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 29, 2020

Hi Satheesh - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I am not aware of a way to prevent an issue from being updated based on the value of another field in Jira Cloud. You might be able to accomplish that using ScriptRunner Behaviours if you have the Server version. 

Hello @John Funk 

Is there a way to prevent tasks/sub-tasks from being linked to epics that are marked as done status without behaviours.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 29, 2020

No, because you are really just updating a field on the issue. 

Maybe the best thing to do would be to do a release to remove Done Epics from the board so they are not easily found. 

Then you could create an Automation For Jira rule to email you whenever new issues are added to a Done Epic. You wouldn't be able to prevent it, but you would be aware of when it happened so you can educate the person and/or remove the link. 

Actually, now that I think about it, you might be able to create a rule that removes the link automatically and emails the user that they are not allowed to do that, along with the instructions on how to properly modify the Epic. 

Ok

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 29, 2020

Ah, I forgot that you can't monitor for when the Epic Link field is changed in Automation For Jira. 

Let me try to track down some more information. 

Suggest an answer