how to find issues in a next-gen project backlog?

Roman Haag April 17, 2019

I can go to project -> backlog of course, but I d like to find issues in backlog by filters (for notifications, etc.) or a jql query.

5 answers

11 votes
Josh Padnick August 13, 2019

I have the same need as OP: I want to able to write a JQL query that can include/exclude issues in a Next-Gen backlog. 

My use case is that I'm using a Jira classic project to have a board which aggregates all my Jira issues across multiple projects. The one problem I'm having is that right now issues in my Next-Gen backlogs are showing in the roll-up board based on their status. But I want to ignore the issue completely if it's in a backlog.

The best workaround I can find is just not assigning the issue to myself if it's in a backlog, but this degrades the functionality of Jira, so the real solution here is a JQL property like "inBacklog = true".

Is there any support for this now or planned for the near future?

William L'Archevêque August 6, 2020

We have the same requirement, we need to filter out the Backlog issues and find only the ones active in our next-gen project Kanban board.

Like # people like this
Jane Ansara August 28, 2020

Same. I have this requirement as well.

Like # people like this
5 votes
Raymond Burrowes October 1, 2019

I have created a rule on the Jira Next Gen board to assign a label for all issues moved to the board. This allows me to filter (in my case for a classic Kanban board) to include or exclude this label.

JT February 6, 2020

this helps somewhat - i'm going to do the same thing

but - this doesn't solve problem of not being able to move items to board programmatically

Nick May 7, 2020

In your automation how did you determine if issue was moved to board (assuming next-gen board)?

Like # people like this
1 vote
Natalie Tallon November 23, 2020

I need this as well!

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 17, 2019

doesn't this give you what you want? I don't use NG except for testing so maybe not...

project = My-Next-Gen AND Sprint not in openSprints() and status != Done

when working with a kanban board there are no sprints and the above query doesn't show any result ;(

Like # people like this
JT February 6, 2020

i have the same requirement.

finding it very irritating that all new issues are automatically added to the backlog in Kanban - and you can cannot set this explicity when creating an issue from outside the board (i.e. from connected apps)

but can't seem to find field on issue that represents whether it is on the board or not

Like Yugo Hino likes this
Jane Ansara August 28, 2020

Same! I need this too

Like Yugo Hino likes this
0 votes
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 17, 2019

Hi @Roman Haag ,

Do you want to have a quick filtering function like the scrum board?

I am afraid that the current version of the next generation project does not support this feature.

pls refer to the Next-gen roadmap for Jira Software Cloud:

https://www.atlassian.com/roadmap/jira-software?&_ga=2.236437121.1216841105.1543797137-1017060183.1539831411#result-9d75ad60

no I wish to be able to filter those issues, which I have in backlog, resp. filter such that are NOT in backlog.

but I couldn't find any specific criteria to "find" them.

Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 17, 2019

Hi @Roman Haag ,

As of now, it is not possible to configure the next-gen project board filter:

Ability to configure board filters for next gen project

Suggest an answer