how to exclude jira service users from jira software?

robert-d-allen January 21, 2021

We recently added Jira Service to our account and now in Jira software when I am using the advanced search feature all of the Service users are included in the suggestions for assignee. These users are not assignable users in my project so they should not be in the suggested search results.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 21, 2021

The advanced search looks through the whole of Jira.  When you're using it, there's no project or app context that it could use to limit what you can search for.

So you can't limit the assignee search

When you're searching for assignee, that could be an assignee for any project (and needs to include people who used to be able assigned issues and have had their access removed, so you can search for historical items)

Robert Allen January 21, 2021

I get what you're saying but when the JQL I'm using has specified a project it could limit the search. 

But I'm even more stumped by this. These aren't actually users. They are "portal customers" and the management page for them says:
Portal only customers can't access your site directly. They can only log in to your Jira Service Management customer portals. To create portal only customers, add them to the Customers list in a service management project.

So why would they be coming up as assignees in a Jira Software search?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 21, 2021

The easiest way to code for the advanced search is "evaluate each clause independently".  If you were to run it that way, the suggestions and autocorrect would become unwieldy and possibly too slow to be useful.  So Atlassian have gone for simple and fast.

Jira users can be portal users too, which might muddle things a bit for the assignee search, but given that assignee is a system field and it's very easy to check if a user is a full user, I'm with you on the "assignee clause should only offer Jira users, as it can't hold users that are only customers".  I think there's a request out there for this as an improvement, and I think it covers the Reporter, project lead and user picker custom fields too

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events