how to create confidential issues?

tom.francis July 1, 2021

Hello.

I wonder if anyone could provide me with some advice, I am wanting to know if it is possible for members within a project to create issues on the Kanban board that only a few others/ upper management can see.

I am wanting to allow the opportunity for issues to be logged that contain confidential information that only management can see, is this possible, or does anyone have any other advice on how I might go ahead in creating this.

Thanks in advance.

2 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 1, 2021

Hi @tom.francis ,

For this case the concept of Issue Level Security was created.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/configure-issue-security-schemes/

The idea is that you create a security level (and on that define who can see the issues of that level) and then assign that level to an issue.

Only the users that are defined in that level (through roles/groups or specific) can then see the issue. For others it will simply not exist.

This is often used for as you mention confidential items.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 1, 2021

It's a slight fiddle to do part of what you're asking, but yes, you can do this.

Caveats: you can't do this on free plans, and team-managed (next-gen) projects do not have this function (yet)

You need to look at issue security 

The basic idea of that is you define a scheme that has one or more security levels that identify people.  If you apply a level to an issue, then the issue is only visible to the people named in the security level (and you can set rules in there like "Alice, Bob, the admin role and the managers group")

Leaving the level empty means everyone with "browse project" can see the issue.  Also note the levels do not add permissions - a person still needs "browse project" to see the issue.

The slight quirk in your spec might be setting the level.  To set a level, the person creating/editing the issue has to be included in the level.  If you need to be able to hide issues even from the creator/editor, then you'll need to look at automating the setting of a level the user is not in.

Suggest an answer