Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

how to build WF post function "assign to workflow step actor" in cloud with A4J and API?

Edited
Stefan Salzl Community Leader Aug 11, 2022

Hi Community,

I am struggling with a wf post function that the customer was used to on Jira Server but it doesn´t exist in the cloud version anymore. 

The use case behind is a bug work flow:

• someone creates a bug
  • bug ticket is assigned to a developer, status open
  • after fixing the bug the developer sets status to fixed
  • after new deployment status changes to "testable" and tester is assigned
  • in case the test fails bug is transitioned back to status open with transition "test failed"
  • with this transition a post function should assign the user who set the status to fixed

In server version this looked like the following:

image.png

I was also thinking of an automation rule but I could not see a way to find out the user who changed the status to "Fixed" (because it has been some time before the transition that triggered the rule). Any ideas if I could retrieve this data via a API webrequest?

Any help/advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Best
Stefan

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk Community Leader Aug 11, 2022

Hi Stefan,

Yeah, the only thing I can think of is to create a custom user picker field for the Developer and populate it with the Assignee when the issue is transitioned to Fixed using an Automation Rule. 

Then when the rule fails and is moved back, the Assignee can be set to the custom field - using an automation rule or a post function. 

hm.....mhm.... that was the only thing I could think of too. Just would like to avoid alsways adding new customfields into issues not needed by the business but to build workarounds for jira functionality 😕

any idea if this information can be gotten via RestAPI ?

No, I am not an API guy. Maybe JMWE could do it? 

@David Fischer _Appfire_ 

Like Stefan Salzl likes this

Ok. Thanks for your input and help. 

If it´s OK for you I would leave it open. Maybe I can gather some input regarding the API idea.

Best
Stefan

Like John Funk likes this

Absolutely - hopefully David will be able to help as well. 

@Stefan Salzl I could offer a solution using JMWE for Jira Cloud if you're interested.

Stefan Salzl Community Leader Aug 21, 2022

@David Fischer _Appfire_ thanks for reaching out. Unfortunately this is not an option at the customer site :-/

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS

Atlassian Community Events