how to automatically close an epic based on linked issue status

Scott Federman December 9, 2020

I am looking at using automations for this but cannot seem to get the right recipe together for this to execute. 

How would i go about automatically transitioning an epic to done once all linked issues are marked done?

4 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hey all, thank you for your help. I found the issue in the end was not the automation but rather there was a duplicate "EPIC LINK" custom field that was not the system default. That is what was breaking the automation.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 9, 2020

DOH! I have seen it many times where people create a custom field with the same name as a system field. 

Like # people like this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2020

Oh my...  Hopefully this issue can be resolved/mitigated in the future, such as with project references to fields: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-74037

__Bill

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 9, 2020

Hi Scott, do you really mean "linked" issues or do you mean issues that are associated to an Epic via the Epic Link. Just want to be clear as there is a difference.

Here is what I have used to close the epic once all stories are done.

close-epic.png

Gahhhh. That is exactly what i had.  Seems really simple and straight forward but it didnt work

Capture.JPG

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 9, 2020

i have had mine disabled for some time now (don't need it really) but it certainly was working as I recall. What does your log say?

Hey @Jack Brickey heres what i see. This is currently only applied to the QAA project and that is where im testing this too.

Capture.JPG

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 9, 2020

i will need to test on my end when i get a second.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 9, 2020

Just re-enabled, tested and worked....

close-epic2.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 9, 2020

The only difference I see is that one has ="Done" and the other has =done

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 9, 2020

Hi @Scott Federman 

Is this a Classic or a NextGen project?

If you go to the condition with the JQL status check, and click on the link "validate query" what does it show?

Best regards,

Bill

@John Funk made that change and still nothing

@Bill Sheboy Its a classic project and when i validate it returns 451 issues.

0 votes
Arkadiusz Baka January 27, 2022

In my case problem was in empty assignee field. After I assigned someone to all issue in epic it started to work. 

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 9, 2020

Hi Scott,

Have you already started one that is not working? If so, can you share that one? And what is not working with it. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events