how do I create 3 separate backlogs for a project with 3 workstreams

ade ajiboye May 23, 2023

I have a poject with 3 workstreams and would like to create a seprate backlog for each workstream to avoid any mix up so when a team member selects their board it only displays work relevant to the team. I would also like this sort of display when we view Epics from Roadmap view. Thanks

1 answer

1 vote
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 23, 2023

Hi @ade ajiboye and welcome to the Community!

Either create 3 separate Jira projects for each workstream (a Jira project and a project in the real world are different things). That creates a clear separation of the work(streams) right from the start.

Or, if you have good reasons to keep all the work in one single Jira project, make sure you can clearly identify the workstream each issue belongs to. You can do so using components or with a custom field you define yourself, having the different workstreams as values. Then, create separate boards on top of your project, where each board is based on a filter that contains the issues from a single workstream. Use company managed projects for this scenario, so you can create multiple boards for your project.

You could find different ways to identify your workstreams (using labels, teams, ...), whatever suits your way of working best. But the above are the two most fundamental ways of approaching this challenge. When choosing either one, ask yourself what the main drivers are to keep the workstreams separated. And also: what they have in common. Things like common components or fix versions (releases) may help you decide to use one or multiple projects.

Hope this helps!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events