how do I add an existing issue to an epic?

Meredith Volk August 12, 2018

I found a doc that mentions using "Plan mode" but I don't see this as an option in my board. Presumably that's because I don't have permission to access Plan mode. Is that the case? Or is the doc just missing some steps? 

5 answers

1 accepted

Jay Lal January 7, 2021

This is the best answer, that actually worked

41 votes
Josh August 17, 2020

This simple core task is clearly painfully difficult to find and still annoying to use. It's truly staggering how Atlassian consistently botches UI by burying key features. Noisy interfaces poorly prioritized.

6 votes
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 12, 2018

Hi @Meredith Volk,

Are you using a Scrum Board or a Kanban Board?

In Scrum Board mode you can choose to show the Epic panel in the board configuration,and Match existing Issue and Epic by dragging cards.

epic1.pngepic2.png

Meredith Volk August 15, 2018

I'm using a Kanban board but I think I figured it out! We have a custom field called Epic Link on issues. I can type the epic in there and link it that way.

Like # people like this
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 15, 2018

That's true, it can also be implemented through Epic Link.

Like Ifta likes this
Guido Zardo February 25, 2021

In case the Epic Link was not showing you can unhide it in the issue layout settings

Like Sergey Korsik likes this
Lydia M March 10, 2022

Love the drag-and-drop method for Staged issues, but if something is not Staged it does not show up in the Backlog and you can't drag it into the Epics panel so oh well! 

How about making it easier to link a task in progress to an epic?

Like Jason Beens likes this
4 votes
TomZed October 1, 2021

As of 2021:
-> Open Story
-> Click the 3 dots

-> Choose "See the old view" at the very bottom

-> There is now an "Edit" button at the top of your story

-> It has a field "Epic - Link"

-> Choose your Epic

Matthew Pfaffendorf September 15, 2022

Thank god for this response. Worked! Super easy. 

I was using the "new"(?) view which had the "Epic Link" field but it would it wouldn't let me edit it like it allows in the "old view." Bizarre to say the least. Thanks for the work around, saved my day/night!

caleb October 18, 2022

You are a literal life saver. I was getting to the point of having to rewrite 5 stories.

0 votes
Sandhya Nagarajan January 27, 2020

Easiest way is to go the issue and `link the epic using `link-issues` to it by selecting `Created by` in the drop-down.

Tracy Kabeshita May 18, 2020

I attempted this and it only "links" them, it doesn't make them Epic issues.  I selected "relates to" as the way to link them.

This is what I would like to see:

1.png

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer