how can i restrict edit screen based on status changes in jira

Nishant Paraskar December 15, 2020

How can i restrict edit screen based on status changes in jira

Like i have 6 to 7 field on my edit screen .

Now  in "To do" Status --> on edit i must get only First two field

Now  in "In Progress" Status --> on edit i must get  First two field  + Futher two fields

Now  in "Done Status" --> on edit i must get  all fields .

So how can i restrict this on specific status i wanted to show only limited field on edit screen on status change .

Please help me to reach my goal .

Is is possible using script runner ?? if yes then how ??

Or any other plugin from which it is possible .

4 answers

0 votes
Syed Muhammad Umair Mansoor November 24, 2022

Dear,
if you completely wants to stop edit on issuet ype then use step property to that specific status and set issue.editable to false
incase if you wants to hide some fields then just remove those fields from screen.

0 votes
Thorsten Letschert _Decadis AG_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 16, 2020

Hi @Nishant Paraskar ,

If you're using ScriptRunner, you should have a look at the Behaviours section - https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/6.15.0/jira/behaviours-overview.html

After adding the correct project and issue type mapping as well as selecting the guide workflow, you can set fields to be hidden on specific workflow steps:

community_behaviours_edit.PNG

Cheers
Thorsten

Nishant Paraskar December 17, 2020

Can you give me more clear idea on this . How to achieve this step by step .As i am new to script runner .So help me to achieve this task .

Thorsten Letschert _Decadis AG_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 17, 2020

Hi @Nishant Paraskar ,

I'm sorry to have missed the fact that you're referring to Jira Cloud. My proposed solution only works for Jira Server/Data Center.

Nishant Paraskar December 17, 2020

i want the solution for jira server only . Please tell

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 15, 2020

Hi Nishant,

You cannot limit access to fields in Jira cloud by standard means. 

The only way I have found to be close is to remove the fields from Edit screen as a whole. Then create a Transition screen with the fields that you want to allow update to for some people. 

Then add the transition screen to a new looping transition that loops back to the same status. There you can place a Condition on the transition to allow only certain users to update the fields in the transition screen as they are the only ones who can see the transition. 

Thanks @John Funk   for the response .

But i wanted to restrict on bydefault Edit Screen  on jira server. I dont want to create any custom screen and associate that custom screen with transition .

Is there any other way where i can restrict EDIT Screen only on jira server .

Is any plugin from which it is possible .

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2020

No, that is not possible in Cloud version. And there are no add-ons. 

0 votes
Tansu Akdeniz
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 15, 2020

Hi @Nishant Paraskar 

As I understand, you want to edit different fields in different statuses. You can not do it by default.

Workaround:

• Go to projects permissions -> "Edit Issues" permission and restrict to admins. Or limit the Edit issue screen fields.
  • Go to workflow -> add transition in each status to itself. Name the transition as "Edit". Ex: Transition from "To Do" -> "To Do" and associate with your custom screen which includes related custom fields. Do the same for other statuses.

Briefly, you will see Edit transition button in each status but it will change the status. It will just open a screen with desired fields for edit purpose.

Hope it helps.

Thanks @Tansu Akdeniz  for the response . But i wanted to restrict on bydefault Edit Screen . I dont want to create any custom screen and associate that custom screen with transition .

Is there any other way where i can restrict EDIT Screen only on jira server .

Like Iain Crawford likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events