execute jql prompts regularly, record output in a db and visualize in a graph

Marco Scheuble May 15, 2023

Hi community

I made a dashboard in Jira and it is pretty helpful giving me a good overview. But what I am missing is the possibilty to see a timeline of the respective values. For example: Seeing the bug amount evolvement of the last 12 month in weekly steps.

So I would like to execute a jql prompt regularly and record it for displaying the past values in a graph to get an overview over the trend. 

I don't want to do it manually and I don't want to develope a solution by my own and therefore I want to aks, if there are allready tools implemented that are possible to do that automatically? Opensource or freeToUse tools are preferred.

Maybe there even exists a plugin for confluence or jira?

Regards
Marco

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 15, 2023

You haven't detailed what is "evolvment". If you are interested in the trends of Created vs Resolved, there is a dedicate gadget for that.

The trend of what exact metrics are you trying to track here?

Marco Scheuble May 15, 2023

Thanks for your reply.

Yes you are right with the gadget "Created vs Resolved", but in this case it is only for the last 30 days.

Another example would be: 
Amount of stories done for each month during the last year.

Or:
The velocities of the sprints the last 12 months.

Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2023

To be able to report on trends, you need to take snapshots of the source data periodically. One approach you could take is running JQLs, saving the results to Excel files and collecting those files in a dedicated folder.

The Better Excel Automation app has a "Save Excel" automation action that can do this for you:

save-xls-config.png

Then having a series of input spreadsheets, you can easily import those to your report spreadsheet and craft a custom report from the previously collected data.

Like Marco Scheuble likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events