editor-markdown-transformer sandbox link are broken

Manzer Ahmad Hashmi
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 1, 2021

https://jira.atlassian.com/secure/WikiRendererHelpAction.jspa?section=all

https://ak-mk-2-prod.netlify.app/packages/editor/editor-markdown-transformer

I am trying to use markdown notation (jira) to convert them as html and back to markdown notation. I was exploring above link for that.

The examples in sandbox link is broken or maybe having issue with the packages.

Please guide us the way to get a solution to our requirement.

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 2, 2021

Hi Manzer,

I understand that you are trying to use markdown notation in a Jira Cloud site.  However the first link you posted here is from our public bug tracker on jira.atlassian.com.  This specific site is not using our Atlassian Cloud platform, but instead is using the Jira Data Center edition.  As such Server/Data Center handle this differently.

In regards to our Jira cloud, it no longer utilizes all of the previous markdown of the old editor (that server and data center are still using).  Over the years, our team has made efforts to build towards a consistent, familiar, and performant editing experience in all our cloud products. We performed extensive research into how our users use our many products together, and found that an inconsistent editing experiences (i.e. Markdown/markup vs rich-text WYSIWYG) when moving across our products resulted in overall confusion and frustration for our users.

We recognize that a number of users would much prefer plain-text markup authoring, but the overwhelmingly majority of our customers requested a more modern, rich-text, WYSIWYG editing experience. Unfortunately it isn’t feasible for us to support both experiences, and in balancing the tradeoffs Atlassian opted to support the majority.

What we do support

That being said, we do offer support for markdown in the cloud editor in a few ways:

• Autoformatting: We allow people to type **thing** to make things bold. We used to use wikimarkup syntax but we switched to markdown because it is an industry standard.
  • Markdown transformation on paste: We let you type/paste plain markdown/markup text into our editor to help with markdown authoring happening outside our editor.

• In some server instances of Jira, you may still see a "Visual" vs. "Text" selector at the bottom of the editor. There are no plans to support this for the editor in our cloud products.

Check out Markdown and keyboard shortcuts, for a more accurate reference guide for our Cloud editor.

I hope that helps.

Andy

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events