create new story with tasks

Rafael May 11, 2023

Hi,

I know that my question is simple, my I tried to read and watch some videos to resolve this.

In our company we have many teams, and each team has many works. So I need to create a STORY with the stories.

I already created a story in BACKLOG and when I tried to drag and drop to the top I received this message. And I can't see my new SPRINT at ACTIVE SPRINTS screen.

I can see on the BACKLOG the new EPIC that I already created, but I can't see on the ACTIVE SPRINTS. Maybe is missing the step to create new sprint.

Could you help me with this point, please?

Here below I put some photos to try to explain what I'm trying to do.

Thank you,

Rafael

QUESTION_04.png

QUESTION_01.pngQUESTION_02.pngQUESTION_04.png

1 answer

2 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2023

Hello @Rafael 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

This message is a normal and expected warning that you will receive when you add an item to an Active sprint. The scope of the sprint should be set before the sprint is started. Before starting the sprint you add the items to sprint that you expect to be able to complete during that sprint. If you add or remove task after starting the sprint then you are changing the scope of the sprint. Those changes will be noted in the Sprint related reports.

To continue with adding the issue you just need to click the Confirm button.

Screen Shot 2023-05-11 at 9.48.46 AM.png

Only Started sprints will be displayed in the Active Sprints view. I don't see a screen image in your post that shows what you see for that view, so I can't provide any additional guidance without more details.

Epics should not get assigned to sprints and will not display as cards on the Active Sprints view. Epics typically encompass an amount of work that cannot be completed within the time frame of a sprint.

Rafael Gimenez May 12, 2023

Hello @Trudy Claspill 

First of all, thank you for your feedback.

I just would like to be secure to do not make some mistake to add my story on the Sprint.

So if I press confirm, the story will be created? And then is it possible to add the activities that I need to work/develop?

Because the goal of my question is to arrive on this page with my new section created. Actually, I think the right name that I need to create is EPIC, right?

QUESTION_05.png

I think now I understand my own life lol. why now the only thing left is for me to drag this created EPIC to the top, right? but my fear is that I got that message that this will affect the project (but it makes sense, because I'm adding a new EPIC, right?

And once that's done, I can go to active sprints and see my EPIC and then start adding mine: task, story, bug. correct?

QUESTION_06.png

Thank you,

Rafael

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 12, 2023

Hello Rafael,

I think there may be a misunderstanding.

The Project is the container for the issues (Epics, Stories, etc.). The Board is just a way to view and manipulate the issues that are in the project.

The Backlog screen will show you lists of issues. On the left will be a panel that shows you only the Epics. On the right will be lists of the other types of issues, like Stories. That list will be divided into sections. There will be a section for each active sprint, for each future sprint that you are still planning, and a section for the issues that are not yet Done and not assigned to an active or future sprint.

Only the issues in this area should be added to sprints. Sprints should contain only the issues that you think you can complete in the time period you set for your sprint.

Epics should not be added to sprints because Epics usually take longer than a single sprint to complete.

You should create a sprint and then add to it the issues you expect to complete in that sprints time frame. After you have added the issues and you are ready to start your work, then you click the Start button next to the sprint.

Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 7.29.26 AM.pngScreen Shot 2023-05-12 at 7.29.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 7.30.07 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 7.31.26 AM.png

Only Active (started) sprints and the issues in them display in the Board view. None of the Future sprints (created, but not started sprints), the issues in them, nor the issues in the Backlog list will display on the board.

Jira does allow you to add issues to sprints that are Active. That changes the scope of your sprint and will be reflected in sprint related reports. The intend use of the Scrum/Sprint methodology though is to add the Stories to the sprint before you start it. That establishes what you intend to complete in that sprint.

You can also add new issues (Epics and Stories) to your project without adding them to sprints.

Suggest an answer