create a context in field Description for some projects

Cris Oyarzo February 22, 2024

How will we make it, now?

2 answers

0 votes
Nikola Perisic
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 22, 2024

Welcome to the community @Cris Oyarzo !

Are you refering to prefilling the Description field with text when you are creating an issue?

Cris Oyarzo February 23, 2024

Hi, my english is too poor.
Yes, it's

We need to template on description for each issuetype.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 22, 2024

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I am sorry, I do not understand the question. 

Do you mean you are trying to restrict the field context of the Description field, like you can with custom fields?  If so, then the answer is that you can not.  Description is a system field, it does not have context, it's always on the issues.

You can look to the field configuration to hide the field, or remove it from all the screens in the project.

Cris Oyarzo February 23, 2024

Sorry, my english is too poor.

The context on description in version On-Premise, it was able.

But, now, It isn't possible or Renderer is the solution?

thanks!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 23, 2024

The description field does not have context on Server as well as Cloud, so I am still a bit stuck on what you mean.

What are you trying to achieve with this?

Cris Oyarzo February 26, 2024

Hi Nic, we need to template on description for each issuetype.

will be possible?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 26, 2024

Thank you for explaining for me, I think I understand now; you want some default text put into the description field when someone starts creating a new issue.

I usually caution people against doing this.  I've run into many systems where fields have been defaulted and users have not bothered to enter anything.  The worst one was a project with over 30,000 issues containing the default text.  I found it because the project owners asked me to write something that would automatically close any issue raised with the defaulted text.  The real solution was to removed the defaults and force the users to actually enter something useful!

Anyway, that aside, Jira does not do defaults for some fields (to prevent the problem I've just described), you will need to find an app that can create default text.

Cris Oyarzo April 18, 2024

Thank you, i understand your explanations ... i agree too

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events