copy email address in to or cc in a custom field

harsh.bhardwaj December 15, 2020

Hi,

This question is about incoming emails.

how can we copy emails in "to" or "cc" in a particular custom field?

For Ex: I sent an email keeping "adc@example.com" in "to" and "cde@example2.com" in CC.

it will create a ticket in jira. I want this adc@example.com to be capture in a field in same ticket. 

2 answers

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 16, 2020

Hi @harsh.bhardwaj  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

What is the purpose of this custom field?

If those people on the email CC are not Jira users, there is no way to do this yet with out-of-the-box Jira.

If the people (email addresses) on the CC line are users in Jira, you could set the email handler option to make them Watchers when the Jira issue is created.  Then you could use an automation rule (triggered on the create) to copy the watchers to the custom field.

Best regards,

Bill

harsh.bhardwaj December 17, 2020

Thank you @Bill Sheboy !!

Purpose of this custom field is to keep a record of email address we sent emails to and later to get it reflected that how many emails we have sent to a particular client/email.

I am trying to build a project that would help my sales team to get record of every email and information sent to a client. 

creating users is not an option for me as it will add a huge cost. Is there any other way or plugin that I can use to get this functionality?

I am trying @Ismael Jimoh  suggestion (Email this issue) plugin. Let me know if you have any other plugin suggestion?

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2020

Hi @harsh.bhardwaj 

Thanks for explaining what you are trying to accomplish.  The built-in email handler will not support that so a plug-in sounds like a good route to try.  The only other option I can think of is to build your own application/email parser and use the REST API to add the issues.

I do not have a recommended marketplace product for you to try; please consider reviewing what is available and ask several of the vendors' support teams how they can meet your needs before you purchase them:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?hosting=cloud&query=email

Best regards,

Bill

Like harsh.bhardwaj likes this
0 votes
Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 16, 2020

Hi @harsh.bhardwaj 

I have only managed the above using 3rd party add-ons like https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/4977/email-this-issue?hosting=cloud&tab=overview which allows you store specific information in fields once the email is received.

harsh.bhardwaj December 17, 2020

Thanks @Ismael Jimoh !! Let me try that.

Suggest an answer