cannot find issues on board after adding sprint field in issue

Anantha May 7, 2019

I am to new to JIRA. I have created a project and added a few Epics and Stories. I want to plan a few sprints. I am unable to add issues to the sprint. Although I find an 'Epics' bar on the left I am not able to drag-drop them on to the sprints. I tried adding the 'sprint' detail in the sprint field of the issue but it still doesn't show up in the sprint planning board. I have administrative rights and also permissions to schedule and delete issues.

What am I missing here?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2019

Hi @Anantha ,

Epic is a big user story, it needs to be split more detailed, usually it is not recommended to put Epic into a sprint to manage,  split it into multiple user stories and moving the user story into the sprint , you can find more information about this refer to the following post.

Adding an Epic to a sprint

Anantha May 7, 2019

Thanks for the quick response @Ollie Guan . 

That is exactly what i am doing. This is a dummy project I am working on to learn how to use features of JIRA. 

I have an epic and I have split that in to stories. I don't find the stories with in the 'backlog' page to be able to drag-drop on to the sprint board. I only see epics! Like I mentioned, the issues aren't listed in the sprint board even if I add 'sprint' detail in the issue itself.

example: ON-1 epic is linked to 4 stories (ON-5, 6, 7, 8). 

image.png

Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2019

Hi @Anantha ,

Have you checked the column matching relationship in the board configuration?

cl.png

Anantha May 7, 2019

Figured it out!

Firstly, after comparing with your screenshot I realized the 'Column Constraint' was not set to 'issue count' in my case. 

Second, I wasn't using 'Simplified Workflow', instead I used some other dummy scheme that I had created in the process of learning. I changed it to simplified Workflow and it worked.

But now, I am not sure if my understanding of creating a new workflow scheme is right :). Got to figure that out (any pointers?).

Thank you so much for your help. I am able to drag-drop the issue and able to list issues in sprint board by editing 'sprint field' of the issue itself.

Suggest an answer