burndown chart with remaining hours not story points

Agile Coach January 7, 2019

what field is required (from the drop down) to trigger the burndown for remaining hours? 

I have searched and can't figure it out....yes sure story points (SP) shows but that doesn't help bc SP are only closed once the epics are done.

Thank you

4 answers

1 vote
Sowjanya Prattipati March 28, 2021

How does burndown with Original estimate makes sense. It should be with remaining hrs. That is the basic functionality anyone would as for a sprint tracking. I don't know how Jira could miss it.

0 votes
Kirby Glad April 23, 2022

Showing a burn down in story points is not useful for managing development.

The link provided above says that the time based burn down shows the original estimate less the time used.  This idea is from the 1900's - it is the equivalent to determining how close your are getting to your office in your morning commute based on the number of minutes you have been driving instead of based on your actual location and remaining distance to the office.

I need to be able to estimate in story points and have a burn down chart that shows  REMAINING TIME.

Dave Miller May 22, 2023

Did you figure this out?  If so, please let me know how.  Thanks

0 votes
Daniel Kuhlwein July 15, 2020

You have to go into your board settings and then under "Estimation" there is an option to select "Original Time Estimate" instead of "Story Points"

Daniel Kuhlwein July 15, 2020

Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 8.31.33 AM.png

Richard White February 12, 2021

The field required should be "Remaining" not "Original".   

The "Original" value should not change, as it's the team's estimate.

When hours are logged, the "Remaining" value is reduced, not "Original" (which is correct) so a burn down for "Remaining" is required.

This article explains how to do it:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/configure-estimation-and-tracking/

Kirby Glad August 10, 2021

I think this answer misses the point.  He wants to size in point, and show the burn down using hours.  That is what I want too. 

Like # people like this
0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 7, 2019

Hello,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

You must be estimating your stories with time tracking fields instead of Story points to display the information in the Burndown Chart.

The field that should be selected to change the burndown Chart to display hours instead of Story Points is the Original Time Estimate:

Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 19.01.24.png

If it's not properly appearing to you, you must activate the Time Tracking feature for your site and configure the field for your Stories, as described in the documentation below:

Configuring Time Tracking

Let me know if this information helps.

Pablo Osorio da Silva March 11, 2019

Actually I got a similar issue, at this moment I can't track "Remaining Time" on Burndown chart.

Deleted user April 14, 2020

I also turned on everything and this option is still not available. How come no one at Atlassian has learned that hiding options/actions (unless it is critical to keep it a secret) is the worst possible user experience?

Suggest an answer