backlog view for kanban board (multiple projects)on jira server

DeepakMurugesan May 28, 2021

We are using jira server (8.13.0) self hosted

We would like to activate the Backlog view on a Kanban Board (created by a JQL filter, which has tasks from multiple projects)

Unfortunately I am still unable to find the option to find the activate the backlog view ?

Is the feature not available for Jira server (self hosted) edition ?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
DeepakMurugesan June 14, 2021

Finally found a solution after contacting the Atlassian Support team and raising a support ticket.

Seems that for Jira Server edition, we need to enable a Dark feature option (in the admin settings) to enable the Kanban View.

By adding these 2 dark features on the same page, it is enabled. (refer screenshot for settings at our system earlier & the option that needs to be added)

• com.atlassian.jira.agile.darkfeature.kanplan.enabled
  • com.atlassian.jira.agile.darkfeature.kanplan.epics.and.versions.enabled

Then checking the Boards -> Configure -> Columns page again for the backlog configuration it now appears.

To enable/disable Dark Features you need to be JIRA admin. First, go to the page: <Jira_URL>/secure/SiteDarkFeatures!default.jspa . 

If this is not enabled, you don’t see option to enables Kanban backlog. You can enable it by adding it the box given in the bottom of screenshot.

Hope this helps some one else too.

Thanks @Fazila Ashraf and @Heather Ronnebeck also for your feedback on this topic.Screenshot 2021-05-31 at 6.45.47 PM.png_thumb_6068341.png

0 votes
Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 28, 2021

Hi @DeepakMurugesan 

The feature is available in on-prem instances also.

Refer to https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver/configuring-columns-938845277.html#Configuringcolumns-enablingkanbanbacklog for instructions and let me know where you are stuck?

I actually already saw the link earlier. But it was not helpful.

Refer screenshot. On going to Boards -> Configure -> Coloumns , there is now Backlog view available.

Screenshot 2021-05-28 at 11.57.12.png

Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 28, 2021

Could you verify whether you are in a scrum or kanban board?

its a kanban board

Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 28, 2021

I have the same version of JIRA and in my kanban board, i see the backlog option to enable. So i can confirm that it is available in jira on perm instance and version.

ah okay. I am not sure if I need to activate this feature in any Jira admin settings. 

Or is it restricted to Kanban board at a Project level (& not at a JQL filter level) ?

Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 30, 2021

@DeepakMurugesan  , 

I do not find any admin option to activate/control this for a project

I created a multi project kanban board and still see these options.

Would recommend you to create a new kanban board and check.

DeepakMurugesan May 31, 2021

Hi @Fazila Ashraf ,

May I ask what does it say on the Simplified workflow ?

(found in configure board -> coloumn) 

Refer my screenshot . It is not available for me , since the multi project has different workflow and hence not available .

Screenshot 2021-05-31 at 13.29.04.png

Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 1, 2021
0 votes
Heather Ronnebeck
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 28, 2021

The backlog view can be activated inside the boards settings. Once in the settings proceed to the columns settings. There should be a backlog column where you can drag your desired backlog status into that column to make the view appear. 

If you don’t have access to the settings you will need your JIRA admin to do it for you. 

Hi Heather. 

The Backlog column is not available for the Kanban board in the column settings. 

I am a Jira Admin. How do we activate the settings for it ?

Suggest an answer