automtically set epic restriction level to all children issues

Adil July 21, 2020

Hi, 

I would like my issues inherit restrictions access from their parent epic. Is that possible? 

As of today, the only way is set Epic restrictions, and do the same for each created issue. 

1 answer

1 vote
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 22, 2020

Hello @Adil

Thank you for reaching out.

Today, all the issues in your project have the same restrictions added under project settings > Permissions and this is applicable for ALL issue types in your project (Epic, Tasks, Story, etc).

Explaining better, the users added to the permission scheme of your project will have the exact same permissions for Epics or child issues, and there is no way to add any restriction based on the issue type with the project permissions.
P.S: This scenario is not applicable only when you have Epics and child-issues in different projects, where each issue will have the restrictions of their respective projects.

That being said, the only way to restrict access to a specific issue-type in a project would be by configuring an security level. In that case, you can configure an automation rule to properly copy the security level from the Epic issue to its child issues when they are created. This would be the steps:

1. Navigate to your Project > Project settings > Automation
  2. Click to create a rule. If the Epics and child issues are from different projects, click on Global Administration > Create a rule
  3. Create the following rule:
    Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 15.50.41.png

Let us know if you have any questions.

Maurizio Margiotta December 15, 2020

I'm trying the same thing in a next-gen project and I can't get it to work. I also tried using Parent instead of Epic, but the condition is always false.

chrome_m0dFAztRmc.png

Like Freddie Joyce likes this
Maurizio Margiotta December 18, 2020

@Petter Gonçalves could you please confirm that automation in next-gen supports the Epic or "Parent exists" condition?

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 21, 2020

Hello @Maurizio Margiotta

Thank you for reaching out.

I cannot remember if I was able to make the condition "If: Parent Exists" work in Next-gen project before, however, Security Levels are not available for Next-gen Projects, so I believe your rule will not work unless you decide to use a classic project.

We have the following feature request to implement this feature on Next-gen:

Limiting issue visibility to certain users (security levels) 

Feel free to vote and watch the suggestion to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help with.

Like Puneet Khandelwal likes this
hanumanthu_e September 19, 2023

Hi @Petter Gonçalves I'm so glad you answer this! It's working fine - the epic and all child issues created under Epic are locked by using your automation. But I'm stumped on the Newley linking issues to an epic. Whenever a new issue is linked to the epic it's not getting locked.
Is there a way to lock them as 
well.

Thanks,

Hanumanthu.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS