automation- sum total estimation of an epic with a customized field

Michael WANG October 25, 2023

Hi, 

i have a question about the jira automation when i am trying to sum the estimation from subtask to user story/task, and user story/task tp epic.

now, for the first step, subtask -> user story/ task. it works well. as below

1698287902116.png

but when i try to sum the user story/task to epic with the following automation rule,  

1698288407809.png

it doesn't work, i was told no action performed when i checked the audit log. could you help me?

and what i want is when i update the "Estimated Mandays" of one subtask, the parent user story/ task, and epic all updated as well

1 answer

0 votes
Tim Kopperud
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 26, 2023

Hi @Michael WANG, I might suggest you branch by lookup using Advanced Branching instead. Example:

image.png

The For Each: Smart value will look something like this:

image.png

This will iterate all issues found and for each iteration set the current issue into the variable name currentIssue. Then you can use currentIssue as a smart value to set the the field using this syntax:

{{currentIssue.Estimated Mandays}}

TimK

Michael WANG October 27, 2023

Hi @Tim Kopperud 

thanks for your suggestion. i update my rule, but no action perform according to audit log.

11.png

could you help me check it?

Tim Kopperud
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 29, 2023

Hi @Michael WANG, to help me with further investigation can you please add two Log actions to your rule, and place them where the arrows points according to this image? 

image.png

The first log action (red arrow) should look like this:

image.png

The second log action (green arrow) should look like this:

image.png

Execute the rule once more and afterwards submit two images here in a comment:

1. Image of the related Audit log entry
  2. An image of the content/setup of your last rule entry, Then: Edit issue fields  Estimated Mandays

TimK.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events