automate transition based on due time

Albert AG January 12, 2022

Background context:
We used to do transition manually from "TO DO" to "IN PROGRESS" whenever we have a build plan task which is allocated on that day.
For example in this screenshot. Today is Day 4 (Thursday). What I used to do is straight forward move them.

44MvyGUcj1.png

Current situation:
We are looking a way to automate this cards to be automatically transitioned (from TO DO into IN PROGRESS). and yes we found it.

Here is the way I did it:
by using automation and a simple query because each jira card has "duedate" field which I already set.
chrome_NMNeqGovpf.png

Yes it works, Actually duedate is not enough, as what we want to achieve is each card can be transitioned automatically based on their expected time. For example I have these two JIRA task in my TO DO.

- Sprint 41 PREV BUILD: Day 4, Thu 13 Jan 12:00
The card remind the programmers to do  the build task on 12:00. We want the card to be automatically transitioned 2 hours before which is on 10am.

- Sprint 41 RC BUILD: Day 4, Thu 13 Jan 15:00
The card remind the programmers to do  the build task on 15:00. We want the card to be automatically transitioned 2 hours before which is on 13:00.

What I think if each card has duetime (instead of only duedate), I think it will works with a simple query. Perhaps need your advice if there are any alternative ways to achieve the same goal. Thank you.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 13, 2022

Hi @Albert AG 

You could do this in two ways:

• Using your existing fields, test for things which could be due and then use an advanced compare condition on the time relative to {{now}}  I recommend using a field for the time rather than trying to extract it from the issue summary.
  • Rather than having a duetime field, have you considered having a custom field for DueDateTime, of datetime type?  You could then use an advanced compare condition to test for issues on/after 2 hours before your datetime value.

Kind regards,
Bill

Albert AG February 1, 2022

Thanks @Bill Sheboy for your help,

I found your statement very helpful for having a custom field which has date and time together. And now it works fine with our new custom field.

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Suggest an answer