automate creation of sub-tasks for each requested participant?

Sara T June 15, 2022

Is it possible to auto create sub-tasks for each of the users tagged in the Requested Participants field (or any other multiple select user field really)?  I see the ability to create a sub-task in the automation actions but is it possible to phrase out the users in a multi-user field and create sub-task for each of those users?

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Yvan Martin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 15, 2022

Hi @Sara T,

Developer from Automation here.

You should be able to achieve this use-case by using smart values in combination with our "Advanced branch", which allows you to branch on any list attribute such as user fields or request participants.

Basically how it works is in the top field you provide the smart value you are looking to iterate over in this case it could be {{issue.Request Participants}} or for other user fields {{issue.My User Field}}. The second variable is what you will refer to the current user field in the iteration/loop such as participant, then you can access with {{participant}} . In my example below I just iterate over each user in request participant and log out their display name:

Screen Shot 2022-06-16 at 2.13.49 pm.pngScreen Shot 2022-06-16 at 2.13.53 pm.png
Try testing that out on a rule, then you can switch out the Log Action with whatever actions you desire e.g. Create Task/Sub-task.

If you require additional help, you can get in contact with support: https://support.atlassian.com/

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Sara T June 16, 2022

This is life changing!!!! Thank you so much!!! 

0 votes
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 15, 2022

Hi @Sara T

With jira automation it would be very tricky.

I would recommend you get one of the scripting plugins such as jmwe, power scripts or scritprunner to accomplish this with a postfuntion in your workflow.

Regards

Sara T June 15, 2022

I was afraid of that :) thanks so much for confirming! appreciate it  

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders