assign last created fix version to issue via automation

Adriaan Peeters October 13, 2020

I'm trying to do the following

When I create a new version I want to define a few standard tasks in that release. 

I added a new automation rul that triggers when a version is created. this automation creates a new task, but in the task i can not figure out how to place the fix version of the newly created version that triggered the automation to the task. 

What can I do to capture the last created fix version? 

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 27, 2020

Hi @Adriaan Peeters  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

For triggers like Version Created, the smart value {{version.name}} contains the triggering one.  

When you use the action to create issue, select Choose Fields to Set, and select Fix Version.  Then type in {{version.name}} and when prompted to use the smart value, select it.

Best regards,

Bill

Adriaan Peeters October 28, 2020

@William Sheboy Thanks a lot, this helped me out!

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Jacey Romon September 1, 2022

Hi @Bill Sheboy 

I have followed the above steps and it doesn't seem to be working. Am I perhaps missing anything? This is my automation rule:

snip1.PNG
The rule returns successful but the Fix Version field on the newly created card is still empty: snip2.PNG

Like Wyner_ Zachary G_ likes this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 1, 2022

Hi @Jacey Romon 

Interesting...I retested and this worked for me in a free license, company-managed project.  

Please try to select the specific project in the Create Issue action to rule some things out.

Also, some questions...

• Is this in a team-managed or company-managed project?
  • What is the scope of this rule: global, multi-project, or single project?
  • What do you see in the audit log details for the rule?  Would you please post an image of that information?

Kind regards,
Bill

Jacey Romon September 2, 2022

Hi @Bill Sheboy 

Thanks very much for the response.

I have now narrowed down the rule to create the issue in a specific project. The issue is created but the fix version is still not populated. Please see below.snip1.PNG

snip2.PNG

To answer your questions:

• This is a company-managed project.
  • Scope is for all projects as the rule should run whenever a new release is created regardless of the project.
  • The audit log shows the following: sbip 3.PNG

I appreciate the help!

Like Wyner_ Zachary G_ likes this
Jacey Romon September 7, 2022

Hi @Bill Sheboy / @Adriaan Peeters 

Is it possible for you to assist me with the above please?

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 12, 2022

Hi @Jacey Romon 

I'm sorry for the delay in responding as I was out-of-office for a while.

Thanks for the information about your rule's scope as global; that is likely the cause of this symptom...

• Versions are created for each project, and are not shared between projects
  • Your rule can be triggered for any project creating a version, and so...
  • When you attempt to assign the version, Jira is trying to match on the same named version in the target project.  It may not exist yet.

The way to confirm this is to look in the "iTest (IT)" project to see if the version exists.  I suspect it does not. 

One possible fix is to create the new version in that project when needed with a rule action before creating the issue.  I believe that will raise an error in the audit log if the version already exists, and still continue processing for the assignment.

Kind regards,
Bill

Jacey Romon September 13, 2022

Hi @Bill Sheboy 

Thanks very much for the response.

I have managed to figure out a workaround that we will use instead of trying to automatically populate the fix version.

Kind regards,

Jacey Romon

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders