applying {{fieldChange.from}} on multi value field in automation rule is reversing values to blank

Ravish March 26, 2021

Want to restrict change to Labels field (multi value) to certain users. So I created a group of users, and created an automation rule that if user changing the label is not part of group, the values would be reversed using smart value {{fieldChange.from}}.

However, its not bringing the old values in Labels field but rather making it blank if user is not member of that group. Any idea ?

2 answers

0 votes
sai rohit November 21, 2022

Yes, I do have the same issue when we add  {{fieldChange.from}} in the label field. It should change to previous value 4.3 but it is updating to None

1.PNG2.PNG

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 22, 2022

Hi @sai rohit 

For context, please include images of your entire automation rule and the audit log details showing the rule execution.

You may also want to write that smart value to the audit log to confirm it contains what you expect.  There are some open defects for list-like fields (e.g. fixVersion, Components, etc.) not working with the change log smart values, so perhaps Labels stopped working too.  Writing the value to the audit log will confirm if that is the case.

Kind regards,
Bill

Like sai rohit likes this
sai rohit November 22, 2022

Hello @Bill Sheboy ,

When I write to auditlog, it contains the expected value. Am I doing something wrong with the rule to update?

Thanks,

Would like to confirm whether the below rule is a right way to remove and update the field (label).

4.PNG

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 22, 2022

What is the type of your custom field, as that error seems to indicate it is not a string?

And, if you write the fromString to the audit log, what do you observe?

The Customfield is String (When I write down to audit log using changelog.Reqtodelete.fromString it returned the value (4.2)).

The values are 4.2 and 4.3.

Hello @Bill Sheboy ,

Problem solved, Just need double quotes around the smart value ,

"{{fieldChange.fromString}}"

Changelog:

"items": [{"field": "Reqtodelete","fieldtype": "custom","fieldId": "customfield_12467","from": null,"fromString": "4.3","to": null,"toString": "4.2"}

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 26, 2021

Hi @Ravish  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Please post an image of the rule you have tried and the audit log for a rule execution?  That will help the community have context to offer you suggestions.  Thanks!

Best regards,

Bill

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events