any logged in user Vs jira software in jira-permission scheme

ayala nayman November 16, 2021

hello all

in Jira permission scheme I see that permissions can be grant to users with application access

1-  JIRA SOFTWARE

2- any logged in users

what is the difference between them ?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2021

Hi Ayala,

Your Jira instance can have multiple products in it - Jira Software, Jira Service Management, Jira Work Management, Team Central, etc. 

So the differences would be that 

1 - only allows users with access to the Jira Software product

2 - anybody logged into your instance, regardless of what products they have access to. 

Also, realize that in your case, they might both mean the same thing.  :-)

ayala nayman November 16, 2021

Thank you John :) !

Like # people like this
Alan Kelly May 11, 2022

Hi John, I have an instance of JIRA and Confluence running and I'm currently in trial for the "standard" license. I have created separate Spaces for different project within the company. These are coupled to identical JIRA projects to track related issues. We have internal team members split across projects. I can control which internal members see the projects in Confluence by adding them all to a "project group". However in JIRA the default permissions appear to allow every logged in JIRA user to see all projects. If I want to change this ( give certain members access to certain project )  do I need to delete each entry for "any logged in user" in the JIRA project permissions and replace it with a group permission? If so, is there a way to bulk remove the default ( there a loads of granular permissions ). thanks. 

Cristina - Elena Andrei March 21, 2023

That means that both below down can move issues to Closed status? Or they need other permisssions?

1 - only allows users with access to the Jira Software product

2 - anybody logged into your instance, regardless of what products they have access to.

Suggest an answer