anonymous comments to issues by email required

Markus Pohle December 7, 2019

hi everyone

i am using jira cloud free edition with a small team of 4 persons and according to the following article I managed to configure Jira to create issues and comments from email.

Creating issues and comments from email

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/creating-issues-and-comments-from-email-779288896.html

But... while creating issues works fine, even for users without an existing jira account, these "non-existent" users cant comment to the issues they created thru their emails, even if they know the ticket id.

Any idea what I need to do to make this work?

TIA

Markus

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Markus Pohle December 9, 2019

Hi everyone,

solution is easy... first, as mentioned by Nic, follow the steps within this documentation.

Creating issues and comments from email

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/creating-issues-and-comments-from-email-779288896.html

After that, and thats the "solution" :-) , do not to forget to delete the default mail handler...

Thats all... now everything works as expectedt...

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 7, 2019

The only way they can comment is by replying to, or sending new, emails with the issue key in the subject, and this assumes that you have set up a dummy account to process all of them, as per the doc you refer to.  If you want them to comment and use their email, they will need a full Jira account.

Markus Pohle December 8, 2019

Hi Nic,

thx for your fast reply... I think I did setup the dummy account in the right way...

20191208-154329.pngThe anonymous mail account is an email alias for my mail account on our mail server.

=> jira@mydom (alias for mpohle@mydom)

20191208-154700.png

After that I created the "aquivalent anonymoud jira account".

20191208-154917.pngIn step three I configured the mail handler options as mentionded... for this I created a new mail handler and configured it as seen in the screenshot...

20191208-155351.png

So this is my setup... :)

Now, the following scenario should happen...

External service provider (ext1@extdom) with no jira account sends email to my companies email address with jira mail address (jira@mydom.atlassian.net) in the "To:" or "Cc:" field.

I receive the email and a ticket/issue is created in the project "Test" and placed in the backlog, containing the email subject as issues description and the emails body as issues content.

Top! :) Thats what I want...

Now I reply to that email, put issue# in the subject of that email and set jira as Cc:. The emails body will appear as comment in the issue.

Top again :)

Now the external service provider replies to that email by clicking on "reply to all", so an email ist generated with my companies email address in the To: field and the jira address in Cc: (jira@mydom.atlassian.net). I will receive this email in my mail clients inbox but this replies email body will not appear as comment in the corresponding issue in jira, even the email had the issues# in the subject and the jira address in the Cc: field.

Any idea why this happens this way and not the (by me) expected way?

TIA

Markus

Suggest an answer