anonymous access using Jira Software platform

Ashlee Toney February 14, 2018

How would we allow "guests" or anonymous access using your Jira Software platform?

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Sloan N_ B_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 14, 2018

Hi @Ashlee Toney

Yes and no. You can allow anonymous access to projects. But they will not be able to access Jira Software features, such as boards.

To be able to access Software features, you need to be a user with Application Access for Jira Software.

There is a page in the Documentation explaining this matter, check it out: JIRA Software: Anonymous access

The linked documentation pages are for Server but should apply for Cloud too.

Cheers
Nick

Thanks, I will look into this further.

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 14, 2018

In the project permission scheme(s), use the line "Browse project:  Group (anyone)"

Never ever give anonymous users write access, as you won't know who they are if they do edit anything, and if, for some reason, you ignore that, do not expose this system to the internet, as you will be found and spammed quite quickly.

Also note that anonymous users only get access to projects and issues, not boards.

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- - There is no "anyone" option under Browse Projects in the Jira Software platform. This was definitely a preferred route. I already tried your suggestion based on another article I had read.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 14, 2018

No, not "anyone under browse project".  Group (anyone) under browse project.

Ashlee Toney February 15, 2018

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- - I found the setting you are referring to and edited it. My user is still not able to browse the project without logging in. I tried logging out and going to the link to our project and it gave me a page to log in.

My user is receiving a page saying the operation is taking too long, see attached.

Screen Shot 2018-02-15 at 1.31.27 PM.png

Thoughts? Thanks for your help!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 15, 2018

Well, I can see about 16 projects there and their issues, which suggests you've got the anonymous setting right in general.

I'd guess the project your user is trying to get to is in a non-anonymous project?

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- - Maybe it's how they are trying to get to the project. I gave them the link I am seeing when logged into Jira.

1 - How did you get to/ see the project(s)?

2 - I only edited 1 project settings to anyone, however, looks like the settings are across the board. How do we edit for certain projects, while keeping others restricted?

I went to Projects -> chose the specific project I wanted -> clicked Settings (left Nav) -> Permissions -> edited the permissions. Seems these are overall permissions, not just for this one project.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 15, 2018

There was a url in the screenshot you gave, so I tried it, to see if there was anything open.  I've got two Atlassian IDs (well, lots more, but I only use two).  One of them has no access to any Cloud sites, but is logged in here.  I was able to run a search for "", which returns "all issues you can see", which tells me there is some open access to your Cloud instance.

To edit for specific projects, make sure the permission schemes are separated one.  You may find you only have one permission scheme, which means any edit affects all projects!

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- - I created a new permission scheme. Can you tell me if you still see all 16 projects, or just one? Again, thank you for all of your help.

I still wonder if you are able to see the projects since you are logged in as a Jira user. It says they don't need to be logged in though. The user with the screen shot does not have a Jira account. I will have them test it again.

Ashlee Toney February 16, 2018

I think I figured this out. Thanks for all of your help!!

Suggest an answer