advanced JQL search bar expanding too big that block me reviewing searched issue list

Ethan Guo November 17, 2020

Hi All;

when i input a long string JQL into the advanced search bar and hit search button. the size of the search bar expanding as much as the whole screen. that prevent me reviewing the searched issue. how to keep the search bar as slender as possible when you search a long string JQL. I'm using chrom goolge and it was fine before, search bar used to shrinked to minimum size no matter how long the JQL string i input. i dont know what happen to me now.

regard

Capture.JPG

Capture 1.JPG

3 answers

0 votes
Franco Lucente September 19, 2022

I used a filter that had all the things I wanted to incorporate that where specific. Then I used another filter to call that one so the query shortens

For example: Filter A: MWS-123, MWS-124, MWS-125 .....

Filter B: filter = Filter A (and here you can add more conditions)

Hope it works for you

0 votes
Ethan Guo November 18, 2020

19/11 update;

Desired outcome can be achieved by transpose the issue numbers from vertical arrengement to horizontal arrengement, then transfer to SQL search field to avoid it expanding vertically. so additional step need perform prior to paste it from spreadsheet to SQL search field. still not optimal solution. the optimal solution is issue numbers can be direct copy from the spreadsheet column to SQL search field without expanding it.

0 votes
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 18, 2020

Hi @Ethan Guo 

Am I missing something here?

Surely you just need to NOT have each issue number on a separate line, remove all the line breaks and you should be fine?

As an alternative, can you not try to "tag" each of the issues (either a label or a component) and then all you need to do for your query is something like

project=ABC and labels="blah"

Ethan Guo November 18, 2020

Hi @Warren 

Thanks for responding,

Yes i have noted that this caused by unwanted space between each number. as my job is bulk update issuses by copy multiple issue numbers from the column of spreadsheet to JQL search field using "Key in()" code. it is inevitable there is a unwanted space between each issue number when i copy them from spreadsheet to paste in JQL search filed. However in previously, all the unwanted space in the parentheses of JQL code could be removed and JQL search field shrink to the minimum size once i click search button. but now its not working anymore, and its very time consuming to manually remove the unwanted space from hundreds of issue numbers. is there anyway to auto remove the unwanted space in the parentheses of JQL code when i click search button or fix the JQL search field as a certain size that only use scroll bar to review code from top to buttom instead of making the search field expanding the whole screen.

regards

ethan

Dinesh June 9, 2022

Hi Ethan,

Did you find any solution on how to shrink JQL search field to minimum of size?

we are also facing the same issue , size of the search bar is expanding when the JQL is very large and preventing us from reviewing the searched issue. Any help on this issue will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Dinesh 

Hung Nguyen October 19, 2023

All manipulations of JQL or search filter are just work around of this problem. Somehow, this issue still needs a true fix.

In the previous version of JIRA, we can still scroll the whole page up, (ie. scroll also the JQL text area up to see additional issue at the bottom of the page). Now, the scroll bar only appears on the result issue table itself, so if the JQL text area is occupying most of the screen, we pretty much could do nothing to see more of the result table .

I guess there must be some ways, either by:

- Hiding (collapsing) the JQL text area upon a click , Or

- Enabling the vertical scrollbar for the whole page, so we can scroll away the JQL text area to see more of the result, regardless how long the searching JQL would be. (this was the behavior in older version)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events