Your Experience With ScriptRunner for Jira Cloud + One Question

Gail September 20, 2022

Hello all!

We are thinking about installing ScriptRunner for Jira Cloud.   I've looked at all the documentation, and I think I saw (so much I'm not sure!) that only admins can use the app.   Can someone verify if you can restrict access to use the app to just an admin group?  

I see a lot of good reviews on the app.   Has anyone had issues with it?

Thanks in advance.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 20, 2022

Hi Gail,

So I should make it very clear that I'm an Adaptavist, so I'm not going to answer the second question about issues with it - I've had some, but mostly because I don't get it, and I've got access to the SR team for help.  Others have had problems, but always been able to get help here, or from our support team (or both - our support team tries to help here, not just do direct request support).

Anyway, the thing about admin rights.  It's a bit more complex than a simple yes or no.

Administrators use Scriptrunner to do many things, but a lot of them are used by non-administrators. 

Really simple example - as an end user, I want to check my team are not entering junk into issues when they close them.  An administrator can use SR to create a condition or listener that can force correct data to go in, and my non-admin team all use that when they try to close the issues.  

SR does give non-admins access to functions, yes, but mostly these have to be configured by the admins.

Gail September 21, 2022

Thanks Nic.

To clarify -- since I am the main admin I can configure SR to only allow myself and a couple other admins to use it if I choose.     

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 21, 2022

No, it's not that granular.  All Jira administrators can configure it, like any other system app.  (The standard recommendation is that you've only got 3-5 admins, all of whom talk to each other a lot, so you shouldn't really need to think about restricting the admin access )

Gail September 22, 2022

If access is only admins then we are good.  I just wanted to be sure when the regular user clicks APPS they cannot see ScriptRunner.   Thanks a million!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 22, 2022

Yep, your non-admins may be able to trigger some script actions, but only ones that have been set up for them by your admins..

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events