Worklog automation fails upon deleting an issue

Krzysztof Kiser January 15, 2021

Hi folks,

I've set up an automation that sets the estimates to 0 when a worklog is created, updated and deleted.

The problem is that when an issue with logged work is deleted the rules fails and I keep getting failed notifications.

I have many automation rules set up, but none of them fail when deleting an issue.

Is there any way to stop this?

Here's the automation and the error:

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 6.50.11 PM.png

And here's the JSON I use to update the estimates:

{
"fields": {
"timetracking": {
"remainingEstimate": "0",
"originalEstimate": "{{issue.timetracking.originalEstimate}}"
}
} }

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 15, 2021

Hi @Krzysztof Kiser,

The behaviour you see seems perfectly logical to me. When you delete an issue, the associated worklogs are deleted as well. That last event then triggers this rule that tries to edit fields on an issue that no longer exists, which is obviously not possible.

Unless deleting issues is a very common practice, I would not worry too much about the error generated by the rule. I'd rather recommend to make sure issues don't get deleted, but rather get cancelled via your workflows. At least you won't lose those time spent metrics that way and Jira is perfectly capable to store many, many issues. 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 15, 2021

This problem is when you delete the issue it is also deleting the worklogs and there is no longer anything to update.  You will need to have a condition to make sure that the issue is not deleted before you run your edit issue field.

Peyush Agarwal October 27, 2021

Hi,

Can you please explain me what exactly is happening specially the last line: 

{
"fields": {
"timetracking": {
"remainingEstimate": "0",
"originalEstimate": "{{issue.timetracking.originalEstimate}}"  

Suggest an answer