Workload split on Sprints

Stefan Brocanelli May 16, 2022

Hi!

We recently started using Jira Plans for our sprint and capacity management.

We have encountered a behavior which we do not understand and was wondering if anyone could tell me, whether this is intended and what the reasoning behind it is.

We created a Team called "Anna & Stefan" with a capacity of 10d per sprint. A sprint lasts for 2 weeks. I then created a Story with 15d original estimate to be completed over 2 sprints. My expectation would be, that the story would fill up the first sprint fully (10/10 days) and the second sprint only halfway (5/10 days). However it does the exact opposite:

Image 570.png

Is this intended? If I increase the original estimate to 16d, it even shows the last sprint as red and overbooked instead of assuming a load of 6 days for the first sprint.

Image 571.png

Thank you!

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 16, 2022

Hi @Stefan Brocanelli 

Few things.

If your story is spanning across multiple sprints then ideally it is better to create an epic with multiple stories. Also, how many people are there in your team? is there an releases associated with that story? Are those resources working on something else during that time?

Ravi

Stefan Brocanelli May 17, 2022

Hi Ravi,

I will take this as "it is not supported to span issues across multiple sprints" :) It makes sense in the context of Scrum and Sprint planning. We adopted the first suggestion you gave and created Epics with multiple Stories.

Regards, Stefan

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events