Workflow Conditions

Brett Germain January 19, 2021

Hi, I want to set conditions on my workflow, such as an issue must have an estimate before being pulled into "In Progress" or an issue must have time logged before being pulled into "accepted" (the final step in my workflow.  My question is if i set these conditions what will happen to tickets that dont fit these conditions that are already in these statuses?  I dont see a way to bulk add estimates or log time to issues and I dont want to activate the condition and have my stories all move to other statuses.  Has anyone ran into this issue before?

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2021

No, is the short answer.

Conditions are evaluated when someone is looking at an issue and looking for transitions.  If you add a new one, then yes, it'll kick in and stop stuff straight away, but it has no historical impact. 

So the good and bad news is adding a condition does not cause any existing data to change - good because no transitions or unexpected updates, but also bad, because nothing is going to go back over those old issues and undo "we let you make a change"

You'll need to do things like

"search a project for issues where my field is not set, and use (bulk) edit to update them"

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2021

Hi Brett - let me see if I understand the need. You would need to implement a condition on the transition from one status to another - say from status A to status B. In other words, do not allow the the card to move to status B if it is missing those things. 

You can implement that now with no problems. 

But your question seems to be, what about the cards already in status B?  Correct?

One way would be to add the same condition moving from status B to status C. But the issue might be that you need the information NOW while it is in status B. Correct? 

So you need to get the estimates in there along with time. And it won't let you bulk load that. 

One option might be to create an email in Automation For Jira that sends an email to the assignee for each card in Status B that is missing the information and ask them to populate those fields. You could have it send everyday until it gets updated. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events