Workflow Condition - Log Work

Brett Germain January 21, 2021

I want to set up conditions in my workflow to force engineers to "Original Estimate" before pulling an issue into "In Progress" and "Log Work" before pulling it into the final status of "Accepted"

I have successfully created an easy rule that forces them to add an "Original Estimate" before pulling an issue into "In Progress" using this simple condition:Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 4.06.48 PM.png

Where I am having issues is forcing someone to "Log Work" before pulling issues into "Accepted". I am using the same condition so I dont understand what my issue is, please see issue below.

Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 4.05.52 PM.pngHere is a screenshot of a test issue that I logged work but I am still unable to pull the issue into "Accepted"Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 4.07.24 PM.pngAny help would be appreciated.

2 answers

1 vote
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 26, 2021

Hello everyone,

Thanks for reaching out to Community!

@Célestin Mansouri-Deveaux, I saw that you created a ticket with our support, and the issue was resolved as well.

I know it has been a while, but I would like to share some details here in case other community members face the same issue.

The resolution for Brett’s case was to add a Screen during the transition, to make sure it would only transition to another status if the “Log Work” was not empty. 

When adding a Validator to a workflow, it’s necessary to add a Screen with the field you need to be filled, otherwise, the Validator will not work as expected. 

For more details, please check the documentation below:

Kind regards,
Angélica

Stefan Anghel May 4, 2021

By using a transition Validator + custom screen, that screen is always shown, even if the issue already has some worklogs, and in the transition screen a work log must be inserted (even though 0 time can be used...).

This is a lot less than ideal !

If I only need a check of type "some time has been logged on the issue before transition is permitted", this is not currently possible. A transition condition of type "Value field" cannot be done against Time spent, and checking against "Log Work" (!= null type String) does not function.

Why isn't sum (Time spent) available as a field against which a condition can be built?
I've seen i referenced on this question, but for the love of God I cannot find it anywhere on a Software Development (Classic) type project in Jira Cloud...

@Angélica Luz never mind, @Célestin Mansouri-Deveaux 's suggestion on this same question helped resolve it.

Like # people like this
1 vote
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 21, 2021

H Brett - Maybe I am missing something, but in your test card the value for Log Work (time tracking) is not null - it's 2h 15m. Which means it SHOULD be allowed to move to Accepted. 

Yea, thats why I am stuck.  I don't understand why it will not allow me to pull anything into accepted because I am logging work.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 21, 2021

Try using the Time spent or Time tracking field instead of Log Work. 

I cant set that field as a condition for whatever reason, but I have filled in the time tracking field/log work field every way I can think of with no success

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 21, 2021

Did you try Time spent? And if it won't let you, what does that mean? It doesn't show up on the list? It gives you an error? 

When I create a condition "Log Work" is the only time tracking field besides "Original Estimate" available to select in the drop down.  

Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 5.25.10 PM.png

I've tried logging time 3 seperate ways with no success, by using the "work log" option by the comments, i've filled in "time spent" and i've used "log work" in the drop down on a ticket that gives more options.  All of these added to the "Time Tracking" field but none have allows me to pull the ticket into "accepted"

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 22, 2021

That's very strange. However, one thing I notice is that you have > null. Maybe try putting in 0 for the value and not null. So > 0 

If you do a filter for Key = LOD-67 and add the columns for Log Work, Time Spent, and Time Tracking. Do you see values in those? 

And whichever one(s) you see a value for, I would try that field with the > 0

Brett Germain January 26, 2021

Hi John,

I've tried >0 and >null, I cant use other values as Time Spent and Time tracking are not selectable fields for these conditions.  The only option I have is Work Log.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 26, 2021

Not sure why the Time fields do not show up - they show up for me. Going to escalate this to Atlassian. 

Like # people like this
Brett Germain February 4, 2021

Thanks, any help would be appreciated as i need this rule in place to really be able to ensure dashboards are working.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 4, 2021

You should probably go ahead and open a support ticket with Atlassian. 

https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

Please post back here with the resolution. 

Célestin Mansouri-Deveaux February 22, 2021

Hi everyone! 

I have the same problem as Brett.

Is this resolved or always in review for Atlassian? 

This is a feature that I need too for my workflow.

Cordially

Like # people like this

@John Funk any feedback on that elevated ticket ?

I too cannot build a transition condition of type Value field on Time spent.
Building it against Log work does not work, no matter the condition configuration...

@Angélica Luz 's solution using a transition Validator + screen has a series of issues that renders it a non-usable...

Like John Funk likes this
Célestin Mansouri-Deveaux May 4, 2021

Hi @Stefan Anghel  !

This is a bit tricky!

In the scrollbar, you can not select "Time spent" BUT you can type "Time spent" and you will see the value field.

Value is expressed in second.

Capture du 2021-05-04 14-09-31.png

Have a good day! 

Like # people like this

@Célestin Mansouri-Deveaux thank you so much, that was it.

Now I have configured a condition on the transition using sum Time Spent > 0 as Number and it seems to behave as desired.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events