Work only on own issues

Rob C August 18, 2020

Hi All,

We are using one particular classic project, in which users can create issues and work on them, but only that. They can only see and access issues created by them. Not the ones created by others.

This is super helpful when using JIRA for HR tasks or anything confidential that is only for the eyes of the particular employee.

We have a next gen project where I would like to apply the same permissions, but I am having difficulties setting it up. 

There doesn't seem to be an option to let a user see/work on their own issues and no others. Or am I missing something?

Thanks,

Rob

2 answers

0 votes
Valentin R. February 1, 2021

Hey! Would you mind sharing the way you did it in a Classic project? Interesting!

Rob C February 1, 2021

Hi Valentin,

First I made a copy of the project's permissions, so I could mess around with them.

I adjusted the permissions so that only the project administrator has access to everything. For the obvious permissions, such as "Browse Projects", "Create Issues", "Transition Issues", etc. I set it up so the project admin, "Reporter" and "Current Assignee" have access. This way people were able to assign the ticket to somebody else and then only that other person being able to view it.

Not sure I did a great job of explaining, so here's a screenshot:

Screenshot 2021-02-01 at 22.23.04.png

Valentin R. February 2, 2021

Hi Rob. Thanks for the explanation.

Does this setup allow any Jira user to create an issue in it, even without access to "browse project"?

Rob C February 2, 2021

Hi Valentin,

Yes. You are circumventing that problem by having "Reporter" and "Assignee" listed for the "Browse Project" permission. It seems that it lets you access the project as you're a reporter, but not browse other issues, unless you're the reporter of said issue.

Like Valentin R. likes this
Valentin R. February 2, 2021

Nice, will try it. Thank you!

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 18, 2020

Hi Rob,

I don't believe that Next-gen has the ability to do Issue Level Security which is what you would need. You would have to convert the project over to Classic Software otherwise. 

Rob C August 19, 2020

Thanks for your input, John. Is there an easier way to convert rather than having to re-create the entire workflow?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 19, 2020

No, because they are literally separate workflows and you can't copy Next-gen workflows.  :-(

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events